Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
New XPS 13 /Archer D7 - disconnect
2017-09-16 10:34:56
Hello,
Having the same problems as listed in this thread.
New Dell XPS 13 9360 with Killer Wireless card. Updated latest wireless drivers and I updated my Australian D7 with:
Firmware Version:1.8.0 0.9.1 v0051.0 Build 170511 Rel.51715n Hardware Version:Archer D7 v1 00000000

After reboot of the router maybe 5-10 mins of the XPS connected to the 5ghz band it crashes the router 5ghz band and effects all other devices.

Any updates on this or am I buying a new different brand router?

Thanks
Options
Re:Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter
2017-09-17 04:16:44
killthewireless, I would suggest you contact Dell and try to get them to replace your wifi card. In addition to crashing these routers, the Killer card also screws up Thunderbolt connections, so if you ever plan to use Thunderbolt in the future, or even think you might, that would be the way to go. They replaced mine for free within two or three days of my first phone call.
Options
2017-09-17 05:38:49
Archer D7 (Firmware Version:1.6.0 0.9.1 v002d.0 Build 160216 Rel.57110n Hardware Version:Archer D7 v1 00000000) is crashed by "Killer Wireless AC 1535" found on DELL XPS 9560 2017.
Options
2017-10-02 16:21:23
Hello TP Link,
You published a preliminary new firmware for Archer C7 V2 through this forum here in January.
Given that about 8 months have passed since that - when will you release the firmware officially through the public support website?
Options
Gave up on TP-Link
2017-10-03 21:22:23
TB-Link is closed door for me because of this case. I had the router for two years and it stopped working after I bought the problematic Wifi card. A router should not fail because of a card. If the card is bad, it should be ignored, not crash the router. This is bad design, and worst, bad customer service. I've been struggling with this issue for almost an year. I finally sold my C7 router on ebay and got ASUS RT-AC66U. Bye, bye TP-Link!!!!
Options
2017-10-04 00:08:36

man40 wrote

TB-Link is closed door for me because of this case. I had the router for two years and it stopped working after I bought the problematic Wifi card. A router should not fail because of a card. If the card is bad, it should be ignored, not crash the router. This is bad design, and worst, bad customer service. I've been struggling with this issue for almost an year. I finally sold my C7 router on ebay and got ASUS RT-AC66U. Bye, bye TP-Link!!!!

I was living with a friend (and it was their router), so I didn't take the easy way out (I should have). Eventually I found that the diagnostic firmware fixed the issue pretty well. (The TP-Link representatives sent me the diagnostic firmware after the beta-firmware didn't fix the problem for me.) But after this experience it will be a long, LONG time before I ever buy a TP-Link product myself!
Options
2017-10-05 11:36:10
Diagnostic firmware? Is this newer than the beta firmware. As I said before " I am running [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Archer C7 v3 with firmware3.15.1 Build 161101 Rel.40542n[/FONT] . The problem still exists with my son's Lenovo Flex 4. I ended up buying a USB Wireless adapter for his laptop. But when his computer updated yesterday it defaulted to the built in wireless adapter and sure enough he brought down our Wi-Fi. Is there a newer version of the beta for the C7 v3 that actually fixes this issue?"
Options
2017-10-05 23:27:26
Hi,

I'm brazilian and i have the same problem, there's a version of this beta firmware for Brazil?
Options
2017-10-06 00:26:25

btschuster wrote

Diagnostic firmware? Is this newer than the beta firmware. As I said before " I am running [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Archer C7 v3 with firmware3.15.1 Build 161101 Rel.40542n[/FONT] . The problem still exists with my son's Lenovo Flex 4. I ended up buying a USB Wireless adapter for his laptop. But when his computer updated yesterday it defaulted to the built in wireless adapter and sure enough he brought down our Wi-Fi. Is there a newer version of the beta for the C7 v3 that actually fixes this issue?"

After updating to the beta firmware, my computer wouldn't bring down the wireless network as often, but my individual computer was still kicked off the internet frequently (and it still took down the whole network on occasion). So I contacted tp-link support and told them about my problem. They ended up emailing me diagnostic firmware that's designed to create a log of everything that goes on on the router so that technicians can troubleshoot what's actually happening to bring down the network. Of course, that means I need to bring down the network while the diagnostic software is logging. Well, it didn't happen, so I just kept using the diagnostic firmware without constantly logging everything (at least, I don't think it's logging. Who knows. I may have greatly decreased the security of the router, but that seemed better than a router that didn't really work). So what is this diagnostic firmware that they emailed to me? I have no clue.
Options
2017-10-06 05:04:55
I've had this problem for ages. I've been using LEDE (OpenWRT) on the Archer C7v2. It had the same problems as the Official Firmware. 2 weeks ago I updated LEDE, to the latest trunk (from the sept 2016 build), and this has also fixed the issue. It seems whatever bug fix that is in the tplink beta chipset has finally made it to the LEDE Firmware. I use the latest trunk (head LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r4897) build, which has the QCA988X 10.2.4-1.0-00029 chipset firmware.

It may be too early to tell, but the router has had a 2 week uptime so far. And I've extensively stressed the wifi on it which always made the router crash in the past within a min or 2. So far so good. There was one time that the WIFI card crashed on the laptop (killers windows 10 driver bug) then came back up 20s later, but the router was fine. This only happened once so far. I'll let you guys know with more time testing, but looks promising to me.

I haven't tested the latest stable (LEDE 17.01.3), but if it uses the same chipset firmware (QCA988X 10.2.4-1.0-00029) I assume it'll be fine as well. The latest trunk which I am testing is perfect on the archer c7v2.
Options
Related Articles