Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter
2017-01-10 22:22:03

permaband wrote

Hello - I'm currently speaking on the helpdesk with your staff about this issue with an Archer D7. Ticket #291910.

Last week I bought a new Dell XPS 13, and it reliably causes my Archer D7 wifi to crash on both bands within 30 minutes to an hour of it connecting. Prior to the introduction of the Dell XPS 13 the Archer D7 was rock solid - I hadn't had to touch it in 6 months.

When it crashes the bottom 4 lights are switched on solid: Wireless, Internet, ADSL, Power. All other devices on the network are also disconnected (ie the network doesn't become hidden, it dies).

The only remedy appears to be a reboot.

I don't have any devices with ethernet to confirm whether or not the router is still reachable without wifi after the crash.

I'd appreciate a beta firmware if one is in the pipeline since this is quite a frustrating problem!

Permaband, I recommend that you get with Dell soon. I have been speaking with them for nearly two weeks. It seems they have a 48 hr reply window each time you are elevated to a higher level technician. Nice guys overall. The summary for me is that they will replace my machine with a refurbished one and I am pushing for new because it started before the warranty went out. I am supposed to hear from them today with a final answer.
As a BTW, my desktop is connected with an ethernet and it too, is dropped from the internet. Every wireless device gets disconnected.
Options
2017-01-11 01:10:08

tplink wrote

You can try to install the beta firmware as well.
The beta not only solves the compatibility issue with Killer adapters but also fixes some other wireless problems.
If it doesn't make sense, it's recommended to create a ticket to TP-Link's support team for a follow up.

tplink,

I have since been able to narrow down my tp-link c7 crash to my Acer Aspire S13 S5-371T-56KX laptop connecting to the wireless network. It has Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A wireless network adapter. I have since updated drivers to the latest version, but it still does not stop the router crash. Some times the router crashes right after the laptop is online, and some times it takes 30 min or so for the crash to occur.

Will the new beta firmware address this problem ?

Thanks!
Options
2017-01-11 02:10:30
I have the same problem: my Dell XPS 15 with Killer wifi card is causing my TP-Link c7 v2 router to crash.

The beta firmware is intended for US devices, but I am from EU so the hardware may be different.

Can I safely install this firmware on my TP-link router, or is there a EU version available?
Options
2017-01-11 11:05:05

KK4NAG wrote

Permaband, I recommend that you get with Dell soon. I have been speaking with them for nearly two weeks. It seems they have a 48 hr reply window each time you are elevated to a higher level technician. Nice guys overall. The summary for me is that they will replace my machine with a refurbished one and I am pushing for new because it started before the warranty went out. I am supposed to hear from them today with a final answer.
As a BTW, my desktop is connected with an ethernet and it too, is dropped from the internet. Every wireless device gets disconnected.

Hey KK4NAG. Why do you think a new laptop from Dell will solve the issue - presumably the wireless chipset will still be the Killer chip and lead to the same issue? As far as I can tell the issue is due to a incompatibility(/bug?) in the Archer C7/D7.

To tplink - is there any news on a beta firmware for the D7?
Options
2017-01-11 11:57:11

dide wrote

I have the same problem: my Dell XPS 15 with Killer wifi card is causing my TP-Link c7 v2 router to crash.

The beta firmware is intended for US devices, but I am from EU so the hardware may be different.

Can I safely install this firmware on my TP-link router, or is there a EU version available?

I have uploaded the EU version to Wetransfer.
Please find and download it from the below link:
https://we.tl/iR9gt2AIZI

And we do need and appreciate your feedback about the beta firmware so that we can make sure if it does solve the issue on your side and fix it in the official firmware. Thanks in advance.
Options
2017-01-11 13:45:07

wirelessgeek wrote

tplink,

I have since been able to narrow down my tp-link c7 crash to my Acer Aspire S13 S5-371T-56KX laptop connecting to the wireless network. It has Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A wireless network adapter. I have since updated drivers to the latest version, but it still does not stop the router crash. Some times the router crashes right after the laptop is online, and some times it takes 30 min or so for the crash to occur.

Will the new beta firmware address this problem ?

Thanks!

Actually the Killer series adapters also adopts the Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 chipset.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Rivet_Networks_Killer_Wireless-AC_1535
So I guess it's just the same problem.
You can try the beta firmware as well.
Will appreciate if you can post your test result here.
Options
2017-01-11 15:15:45

KK4NAG wrote

If you can, use the beta firmware provided by TP-Link. It does fix the issue. Otherwise, have dell install, or send you an Intel 8265 to install yourself. A refurbished computer is not going to help this issue at all.
Options
2017-01-11 15:46:06

dcortecchia wrote

I'm experiencing the same issue with a Dell XPS 13 9360 with Killer adapter, and Archer D7 with firmware Archer D7(EU)_V1_160216.
I think a new firmware version could help solve the issue.

As for Archer D7 V1 EU version, we have got the beta firmware and here it is:
http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/Archer_D7_Beta_V1_160708.zip

Please download and install the beta on your side and kindly feedback to us if it solves your issue. Thanks in advance.
Options
2017-01-12 06:27:03
Thank you, I flashed the beta firmware on my Archer D7, and reset it to factory settings, but the issue is not solved. Wifi keep crashing, it seems to crash more than before.
If it could help you investigate the problem, I've installed Killer Adapter driver release 12.0.0.285.

Now I reverted to firmware version Archer D7(EU)_V1_160216, and found a workaround configuration that worked for some hours without wifi crash. I connected the Dell XPS 13 9360 on 5GHz network, and set the router in mode ac only, no other device is connected on this network. I keep you informed if this configuration continues working.
Options
2017-01-12 15:53:30

dcortecchia wrote

Thank you, I flashed the beta firmware on my Archer D7, and reset it to factory settings, but the issue is not solved. Wifi keep crashing, it seems to crash more than before.
If it could help you investigate the problem, I've installed Killer Adapter driver release 12.0.0.285.

Now I reverted to firmware version Archer D7(EU)_V1_160216, and found a workaround configuration that worked for some hours without wifi crash. I connected the Dell XPS 13 9360 on 5GHz network, and set the router in mode ac only, no other device is connected on this network. I keep you informed if this configuration continues working.

Nope, after about one hour of hd streaming, wifi crashed again...
Options
Related Articles