Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-04 00:38:52 - last edited 2019-01-29 18:36:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello

I've had an Archer C7 router for about a year and it worked perfectly. Suddenly, it started having problems: the system light would go on, and I could no longer connect to it via wifi or ethernet. The only way to reconnect was to turn it off and and back on.
I contacted TP Link and got a replacement. I installed it, and in 3 days the same issue started happening. I have tried updating the firmware and resetting the router to factory settings, but the problem keeps happening.
When I connect my devices directly to the internet jack on the wall, it works perfectly. I also tried connecting an older router that I had (from another brand) and it worked for several days with no issues.
I have no idea what the problem might be, and would appreciate help solving this issue.
Thank you

Available Solution
Options
155 Reply
Re:Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter
2017-01-04 14:07:19
How many devices do you connect to C7? And what about the model number of wifi network adapters on the wifi devices?
It seems more likely a compatibility issue with the router I think.
Options
2017-01-04 16:03:20
I remembered that TP-LINK offered a beta firmware which could help 5G WIFI dropping problem, it is not sure that beta firmware would help to you.
Anyway, here is the download link of that beta,
http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).zip

this beta seems only be installed to US C7, you may take a try if you use US firmware for your C7 v2. In my opinion, you'd better to contact TP-LINK support directly.

<

[TD][/TD]
Options
2017-01-05 00:11:41

tplink wrote

How many devices do you connect to C7? And what about the model number of wifi network adapters on the wifi devices?
It seems more likely a compatibility issue with the router I think.

We have 7 devices, but they are rarely all on at the same time. One of them is a TV that we connect through the Ethernet. The wifi device's adapters are: 8002.11AC, 802.11a, b, g, n (smartphones), Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter (laptops).

If it's a compatibility issue, though, shouldn't it stop working only in the devices that are not compatible? When the problem happens, the router crashes and none of the devices can connect until we restart it.
Options
2017-01-05 00:11:43
I am having the same problem as deboralbasso. My archer C7 V2 worked flawlessly for almost a year, and is now dropping connections, frequently, at least once a day, and I have to reboot the modem to get it working again. Here are the details:

Model: TP-LINK AC 1750 dual band Gigabit router

Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

When it dies, here are the symptoms I see:
1) All wireless connections including wired connections are dropped.
2) The modem stops broadcasting SSID in both bands.
3) Only of of the two LEDs on console (2.4) flashes on the modem, other one is not flashing.
4) At times, I do see slightly different behavior - The SSID is broadcasting, but wireless clients cannot connect, and they report password is not correct (but the password was correct)

Here are all the things I tried
1) Disabling 5.4 GB band
2) upgrade firmware to latest from support web site
3) factory reset the modem and reconfigure

But none of them have helped so far.
I and tech savvy and can provide any system logs for a support engineer to troubleshoot, please let me know how to collect them from modem. I looked through System tools -> System logs but there is not anything in there that seems to be of significance there. Please provide detailed instructions on any diagnostics you would like me to collect.

Thanks!
Options
2017-01-05 05:02:53
Admin,
I am brand new on this forum and if I am hijacking this thread then go ahead and delete it, with my apologies; and I will repost. I purchased a new Dell xps 13 for my wife's birthday. It has a Killer 1535 2x2 wifi adapter card. The laptop periodically causes my router, an Archer D7 AC1750, to disconnect all devices from the internet. The router LED lights all remain lit as though functioning fine. I have since learned to turn it off for thirty seconds or so and then back on again. I have been talking to Dell help for a week and they still won't concede it is the card. I am past my thirty day return period with them. I have had nine devices connected simultaneously with the laptop shutoff and no problem with the router. Logic tells me its the card. I guess my question is am I right in my thinking?

Thanks for any input or suggestions, I am continuing with there technicians.
Options
2017-01-05 14:11:40
Hi deboralbasso,
The Killer adapter is exactly the root cause. It's a compatibility issue between Killer series adapter & QCA chipset of C7.
We did report this issue to QCA before and got a patch from them.
And we also made a beta firmware with the patch. Please download and install it on your Archer C7 V2 from the link that Doom shares:
http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).zip
I
t should fix the issue.

Hi wirelessgeek,
You said you have the same issue. May I know whether you have any killer series adapters?

Hi KK4NAG,
Thank you for your feedback.
Actually Archer D7 & Archer C7 adopts the same wireless chipset from QCA. So maybe this issue exists with D7 & Killer.
However, we never receive any similar feedback on D7. Could you reply me the hardware & firmware versions of your D7? So that we can try to get a beta firmware to you.
If any other problem, please don't hesitate to post and share here.
Options
2017-01-05 22:59:23

KK4NAG wrote

Admin,
I am brand new on this forum and if I am hijacking this thread then go ahead and delete it, with my apologies; and I will repost. I purchased a new Dell xps 13 for my wife's birthday. It has a Killer 1535 2x2 wifi adapter card. The laptop periodically causes my router, an Archer D7 AC1750, to disconnect all devices from the internet. The router LED lights all remain lit as though functioning fine. I have since learned to turn it off for thirty seconds or so and then back on again. I have been talking to Dell help for a week and they still won't concede it is the card. I am past my thirty day return period with them. I have had nine devices connected simultaneously with the laptop shutoff and no problem with the router. Logic tells me its the card. I guess my question is am I right in my thinking?

Thanks for any input or suggestions, I am continuing with their technicians.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Here is my firmware/hardware info.
Firmware Version:0.9.1 1.2 v002d.0 Build 150924 Rel.53491n Hardware Version:Archer D7 v1 00000000
Options
2017-01-06 06:16:00

tplink wrote

Hi deboralbasso,
The Killer adapter is exactly the root cause. It's a compatibility issue between Killer series adapter & QCA chipset of C7.
We did report this issue to QCA before and got a patch from them.
And we also made a beta firmware with the patch. Please download and install it on your Archer C7 V2 from the link that Doom shares:
I
t should fix the issue.

That makes sense, I found other forums where people were reporting the same issue with a Dell XPS 9360 (which has the Killer adapter) and their TP Link Archer C7.
I've installed the beta firmware and since then have successfully been using the wifi from my laptop for a couple of hours. Really hope it will keep working!
Thank you for the prompt reply!
Options
2017-01-06 07:36:57
> Hi wirelessgeek,
>You said you have the same issue. May I know whether you have any killer series adapters?

None of my laptops / devices have killer wireless adapter. Please advise how to troubleshoot further.

Thanks!
Options
2017-01-06 10:52:37

wirelessgeek wrote

None of my laptops / devices have killer wireless adapter. Please advise how to troubleshoot further.

Thanks!

You can try to install the beta firmware as well.
The beta not only solves the compatibility issue with Killer adapters but also fixes some other wireless problems.
If it doesn't make sense, it's recommended to create a ticket to TP-Link's support team for a follow up.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 21513

Replies: 155