Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter
2017-03-18 02:53:01
After 118 days, 81 emails and many hours on the phone with technicians in SE Asia I received my XPS 13 9360 back for the second time. It now has an Intel dual-band AC8265 wireless adapter card and the Win 10 OS was cleared and re-installed.

Works great! The Qualcom/Atheros Killer card and Win 10 combined were the problem, not TP Link.

Thank you moderators and all who contributed.
Options
2017-03-18 21:12:07

KK4NAG wrote

The Qualcom/Atheros Killer card and Win 10 combined were the problem, not TP Link.

KK4NAG, the problem is the router. No card/OS should be able to crash a router. This is definitely a weakness in the firmware of the router. I installed the beta and so far works fine: System Up Time: 15 days 08:31:34
Options
2017-03-18 22:47:35
Hi to everyone!
I've only updated drivers on my notebook (one with killer network) and it seems the problem is now GONE :). I've found this text on other forums :

" Hi folks - we have just posted a new wireless driver and software suite that addresses a known issue on a small percentage of systems where the Killer Wireless module will drop the WiFi connection when passing a large amount of traffic. We have worked closely with Microsoft on this, and have identified a fix. This fix has been confirmed with several users that currently have the issue and we have posted a new software package. Please visit the link below to get the new driver: www.killernetworking.com/.../e2200-e2400-wireless
If there are issues after using this, please feel free to contact our support through our website for assistance.
www.killernetworking.com/.../contact "

So this fix seem to work on my gs60 with Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1525 Wireless Network Adapter running driver
Driver Provider: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

Driver Date: 12. 02. 2017
Driver Version: 12.0.0.296
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

and on AP tp-link archer C7 :
Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160616 Rel.44182n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

I hope this, or any other fix works for you! :)
Options
2017-03-21 03:12:34
Unfortunately, this new driver and router beta firmware do not seem to resolve the problem for me. My son was back from school with his newish Lenovo Flex 4. After he killed our TP-Link Archer C7 v3 with firmware3.15.1 Build 161101 Rel.40542n, I updated the driver for his Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A wireless card to the latest version from killernetworking.com, 12.0.0.296. He was running all the latest updates for Windows 10. Sometimes it would take minutes, other times it would be a few hours, but his computer would bring down our router. This is very frustrating. I don't know who is at fault, but a wireless card should not be knocking out a router.

From similar text posted above:

Hi folks - we have just posted a new wireless driver and software suite that addresses a known issue on a small percentage of systems where the Killer Wireless module will drop the WiFi connection when passing a large amount of traffic. We have worked closely with Microsoft on this, and have identified a fix. This fix has been confirmed with several users that currently have the issue and we have posted a new software package. Please visit the link below to get the new driver:
www.killernetworking.com/.../e2200-e2400-wireless
This fix will not resolve issues related to the router misbehaving, as that is a router specific problem, however if the issue was specifically with intermittent WiFi drops related typically to heavy traffic, the above should address that. (emphasis added).

Killer Networking is saying this is a router issue. I am at the point where I need to purchase a separate Wi-Fi adapter for my son to use when he is home. That does not seem like a real solution.
Options
2017-03-29 01:08:09
I'm currently speaking on the helpdesk with your staff about this issue with an Archer D7. Ticket #291910.

Last week I bought a new Dell XPS 13, and it reliably causes my Archer D7 wifi to crash on both bands within 30 minutes to an hour of it connecting. Prior to the introduction of the Dell XPS 13 the Archer D7 was rock solid - I hadn't had to touch it in 6 months.

When it crashes the bottom 4 lights are switched on solid: Wireless, Internet, ADSL, Power. All other devices on the network are also disconnected (ie the network doesn't become hidden, it dies).

The only remedy appears to be a reboot.

I flashed the beta firmware on my Archer D7, and reset it to factory settings, but the issue is not solved. Wifi keep crashing, it seems to crash more than before.
If it could help you investigate the problem, I've installed Killer Adapter driver release 12.0.0.285.

Now I reverted to firmware version Archer D7(EU)_V1_160216, and found a workaround configuration that worked for some hours without wifi crash. I connected the Dell XPS 13 9360 on 5GHz network, and set the router in mode ac only, no other device is connected on this network. I keep you informed if this configuration continues working.
Options
2017-03-30 02:31:17
illena,
I experienced the same issues with an xps 13 (9360), and I too, have an Archer D7. I believe it is unlikely to be your modem / router. After 181 days, 81 emails, uncounted hours on the telephone with Dell "technicians" in SE Asia, twice shipping the laptop to them for repairs, my wife now has a working laptop.

The final solution was replacing was replacing the "Killer 1535" card with an intel card and reinstalling the OS. My search of the internet found hundreds of similar problems with the same xps 13 going back to 2013, including some xps 15's. Notice that the new Dells are shipping with the intel card. In my opinion, you should persist with Dell, TP-Link wasn't the cause of my problem and they did try to help. Also, I am not connected with TP-Link and these comments are my own. Good luck with your issue.
Options
2017-04-13 22:09:14
Is there a new Firmware-Beta ? - Because i use the beta that was released in January...
I use this> http://static.tp-link.com/ArcherC7v2_en_eu_up.zip

Anybody know's something about a new-beta version?
Options
Any Update??
2017-04-13 22:28:01
Hello,

I just received my Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop with the Killer Wireless 1535 and have been using my TP-Link Archer C7 with ZERO issues until now.

Details for the router:

Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

I have updated the Killer drivers to 12.0.0.296 dated 2/12/2017. After a certain amount of time, the "status" LED on my router goes constant (not flashing) and internet to entire network crashes. I have to reset the router and it works for a short amount of time. I tried ONLY using 2.4 Ghz band and that doesn't fix it.

Does the EU version of firmware for the router work for V2 in USA? What is the specific link of firmware, if it fixes the issue, that I should use?

Very frustrating. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Options
2017-04-22 01:42:31
I too am experiencing the crashing with US version C7 v2 and Killer wireless 1535 in a Dell XPS 15 9550. I'm using only the 2.4ghz network.

XPS came with driver version 12.0.0.260
C7 came with firmware 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n

What I have tried:

1) change wireless mode to b/g. This fixed it for me, but is obviously not ideal

2) new firmware: I installed firmware 160511 (Rel.62683n) from here. So far the results have not been good, even with my XPS powered off.
- logging on to the C7 is very slow
- I can't say for sure, but it seems that wireless speed is also very slow. I see long pauses when attempting to access websites using my phone
- at least once the C7 wireless as crashed (again, with the XPS powered down)

3) I grabbed a Killer driver update from Dell which installed 4.0.2.217, but this didn't help. Also strange how the version went from 12 down to 4 with an "update". I plan on trying the 12.0.0.230 version from the Killer support site

I contacted Killer Wireless tech support. They said the burden of the fix falls on TP-Link, which seems reasonable. No matter how nefarious, a network card should not be able to take down a arouter

Hopefully this is resolved soon or this router is going back to Amazon.
Options
2017-04-30 02:11:21
Having this same issue with the C5, will the C7 beta firmware work in the C5?
Options
Related Articles