Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Archer C7 router crashed by Dell laptop with Killer adapter
2017-01-06 19:07:05

tplink wrote

And we also made a beta firmware with the patch. Please download and install it on your Archer C7 V2 from the link that Doom shares:
http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).zip
I
t should fix the issue.

Hi,

I don't understand:

Beta:
ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).bin

Official:
ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up_boot(160719).bin

Is the last one not better ?
Options
2017-01-07 19:11:06

HiSpeed wrote

Hi,

I don't understand:

Beta:
ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).bin

Official:
ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up_boot(160719).bin

Is the last one not better ?

I am wondering the same thing. Did the patch from the beta build not make it in to the latest stable release?

Even the Canadian version number is higher than this, so it's all quite confusing.
Options
2017-01-08 04:26:17
When I went to the download page the instructions said to choose the one for your country. I did and ended up with (150924). I am in the USA. Maybe the admin will come back and advise.
Options
2017-01-08 13:19:32
The beta firmware is a US version which means that customers in USA could upgrade it.

Actually this beta has the same firmware version 3.15.1 with the official 160719. However, the patch in the beta wasn't added in 160719 as it's given by QCA. In consideration of stability (maybe the patch would have other compatibility problems with other wifi adapters, just not sure), we only add the patch in the beta to help customers that suffering the router crash issue.
However, we will work on this compatibility issue with Dell computers and once get a perfect solution, will release an official firmware to replace the beta.
Options
2017-01-08 21:03:17
OK, thanks, that's clear now.

By the way, I think it's not a good idea to provide localized firmware versions (US, EU, etc) only for wireless channels selection.
The old universal firmware versions were better designed...
Options
2017-01-09 10:05:34

KK4NAG wrote

When I went to the download page the instructions said to choose the one for your country. I did and ended up with (150924). I am in the USA. Maybe the admin will come back and advise.

As for your Archer D7, I have proposed a case to our colleague to get a beta firmware.
Will share it here for you once I get it.
Options
2017-01-09 10:08:34

HiSpeed wrote

OK, thanks, that's clear now.

By the way, I think it's not a good idea to provide localized firmware versions (US, EU, etc) only for wireless channels selection.
The old universal firmware versions were better designed...

Actually we don't want to do that.
However, the FCC, CE and other wifi certifications require the localized versions. Otherwise will be regarded as illegal.
Options
2017-01-09 15:25:33

tplink wrote

Hi deboralbasso,
Hi KK4NAG,
Thank you for your feedback.
Actually Archer D7 & Archer C7 adopts the same wireless chipset from QCA. So maybe this issue exists with D7 & Killer.
However, we never receive any similar feedback on D7. Could you reply me the hardware & firmware versions of your D7? So that we can try to get a beta firmware to you.
If any other problem, please don't hesitate to post and share here.

Hello - I'm currently speaking on the helpdesk with your staff about this issue with an Archer D7. Ticket #291910.

Last week I bought a new Dell XPS 13, and it reliably causes my Archer D7 wifi to crash on both bands within 30 minutes to an hour of it connecting. Prior to the introduction of the Dell XPS 13 the Archer D7 was rock solid - I hadn't had to touch it in 6 months.

When it crashes the bottom 4 lights are switched on solid: Wireless, Internet, ADSL, Power. All other devices on the network are also disconnected (ie the network doesn't become hidden, it dies).

The only remedy appears to be a reboot.

I don't have any devices with ethernet to confirm whether or not the router is still reachable without wifi after the crash.

I'd appreciate a beta firmware if one is in the pipeline since this is quite a frustrating problem!
Options
2017-01-09 20:44:07

tplink wrote

As for your Archer D7, I have proposed a case to our colleague to get a beta firmware.
Will share it here for you once I get it.

I'm experiencing the same issue with a Dell XPS 13 9360 with Killer adapter, and Archer D7 with firmware Archer D7(EU)_V1_160216.
I think a new firmware version could help solve the issue.
Options
2017-01-09 21:54:03

tplink wrote

Actually we don't want to do that.
However, the FCC, CE and other wifi certifications require the localized versions. Otherwise will be regarded as illegal.

Sorry, I disagree.
This choice is new and proper to Archer C7 only, the other TP-Link routers are not like that.
You can put the channel selection (EU, US, etc.) into the wireless menu without localizing the fimware filename.

Netgear or Asus are much more "clean" on that point... :eek:
Options
Related Articles