Parental Control doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental Control doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Parental Control doesn't work
2017-01-19 21:05:11
I have bought Archer C59 (hw v1, sw 1.0.2). It has same problem too.
Parental Controls completely DOES NOT WORK.
It seems only block DNS lookup and http traffic! But children can use torrent download and Whatsapp in the blocked hours.
Parental Controls is useless !!! I will suggest my friends NOT to buy TP-Link anymore !! Fxxk.
Options
2017-01-20 16:35:16
Yes now it works, even with the iPhone ;-)
Options
2017-01-20 23:09:42

Beekje wrote

Yes now it works, even with the iPhone ;-)

Great. So, TP-Link should add the sentence from the Touch P5 User's Manual "The system time you configure here will be used for other time-based functions like Parental Controls." to their Parental Control FAQ. ;)

Parental Controls completely DOES NOT WORK.
It seems only block DNS lookup and http traffic! But children can use torrent download and Whatsapp in the blocked hours.

Parental Controls is useless !!! I will suggest my friends NOT to buy TP-Link anymore !! Fxxk.

Only DNS, HTTP and known ports for services can be blocked technically. If your children are clever, they can circumvent ANY blocking. Even other competitor's gear can NOT do better. Therefore, blocking can not take away responsibility from parents to educate their children about dangers in life (not only in the Internet). And yes, I have children too. Also correct: WhatsApp may be dangerous, the big kids from NSA might record the conversations. BTW: I don't speak for TP-Link, I only speak for me.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-21 11:45:38

R1D2 wrote

Only DNS, HTTP and known ports for services can be blocked technically. If your children are clever, they can circumvent ANY blocking. Even other competitor's gear can NOT do better. Therefore, blocking can not take away responsibility from parents to educate their children about dangers in life (not only in the Internet). And yes, I have children too. Also correct: WhatsApp may be dangerous, the big kids from NSA might record the conversations. BTW: I don't speak for TP-Link, I only speak for me.

Agree with you. It is parent's responsibility to educate their children about dangers in life.
Anyway, I just want they go to sleep and have sweet dreams from 22:00 to 06:00. Of course,
you may argue against, 'It is parent's responsibility to educate their children to go to bed.' :)

technically, I think blocking all traffic is more easy than blocking on domain basis.
Options
2017-01-21 21:02:36

ellishk97 wrote

technically, I think blocking all traffic is more easy than blocking on domain basis.

You are right. Turning off WiFi at all is much easier to implement. We install public hotspots and one customer wanted to turn off WiFi completely during night hours and on weekends when his shop is closed. At the moment he uses an external programmable timer device to completely switch off the device.

So this probably might be an option? But if you want to use a second WiFi network for the parents with your Archer it again could become difficult, although not technically. I bet, it would not last long and your kids find out how to use the parent's WiFi network. When I was a kid, my parents just turned off fuses for the kid's room lights, but I used a battery-driven transistor radio to listen to the nightly detective story every Tuesday and a torch for reading books under the duvet the other days. ;)

Seriously: file a feature request to TP-Link for your Archer to implement the function to turn off WiFi completely at certain times, if an external programmable timer is no option for you.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-29 08:46:39
Super unhappy with the instructions and functionality of Tether and the Parent Controls functions. Do Not Work At All.
We have an Archer C7 router,
I downloaded the Tether app on my iPhone 5. (Tether 2.8.0)
I can see all my home devices just fine and the UI is nice looking (feeling confident at first).
I click 'parent controls', and I add my phone as the 'Parent List'.
I add my kid's devices to the 'Child List'.
I set the schedule (19:00-21:00, which I think is 7pm to 9pm). If I'm understanding the super vague instructions, this is the effective times when the devices will be allowed wifi connections. Outside of these hours, there is no wifi (if I'm understanding correctly).
I add the 'approved' websites ( www.youtube.com, and www.instagram.com).
I click save.
Boom, my kids devices DO NOT have wifi at all, regardless of the time..

I've tried this at least a dozen times, and at least a dozen different days over the past few months.
If this worked, it would be good to be able to schedule different hours, for different days. If I'm understanding it correctly, each device can have only one schedule, which is the same active hours, for every day selected. It's not possible to allow wifi all day on Saturday, but only from 7-9pm M-F?

Where is the step-by-step guide for setting parent controls with Tether?
The simply graphic on the website ( http://www.tp-link.com/common/Promos/App_Tether.html) is NOT detailed enough.
Ugh, isn't there any help for parents to limit wifi access on certain devices?
Please help.
Options
2017-02-12 17:07:49
This is 2017 and TP Link won't implement a simple access scheduler under Parental controls? Even my circa 1930s-era Linksys had this feature.

This is an unforgiveable omission and completely frustrating after tinkering for 2 hours with whitelisting/blacklisting/guest networking etc.
Options
2017-02-16 01:40:42
Tried all of the above...settings, config, time, etc. (did not upgrade firmware to the latest though...) The only thing that works for me is to manually disable the WiFi On/Off button on the side of the router at night and turn it on again in the morning. My thinking is that TP-LINK Archer C2600's Parental Controls are totally a bust, and don't work. And yes...I agree with the basic parent's responsibility to monitor their child's use of the internet. However, if we are all "paying" for this feature, we should be able to actually "use it". Sounds like Seinfeld "So I can "make" reservation for a rental car...but not actually "hold" the reservation..."

Perhaps we all need to either get another router, or find other software that will work.
Options
2017-06-30 07:57:12
Content in this thread is disappointing. I came here because I could not figure out how to setup a default availability time for ALL devices. A competitors product does not give out IP addresses (and voids the lease on existing devices) when "the Internet goes off." I then give 24/7 access to specific devices by MAC ID. So my wife's phone and all of my computers have 24/7 access, but the kid's devices (and any friends that come over) live with the restrictions.

Is this possible with this product?

If not, I may return it. Blocking DNS lookups is a poor approach to limit time. (I use DNS lookups for one level of content blocking, through OpenDNS).
Options
The problem with Parental controls
2017-07-02 14:20:22
So this seems to be an issue that is affecting many users of this device. Here's where the problem lies.

First, it's been mentioned to follow the example from this link: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1124.html However, the information in this link PLUS logic that green means GO, is the problem. In the example it states, " Now, my child’s device (Jim’s iPad) is allowed to access only www.tp-link.com and Wikipedia.org, from 18:00 (6PM) to 22:00 (10PM) on weekdays and not for other times." But that is incorrect and like many, I was very confused. See, the instructions explain to choose a time such as the one in the example. That time used from 18:00 to 220:00 is in green. And as I mentioned, green typically means go so per the example and logic, I will bet most people are selecting the time they want as GREEN and well, that doesn't work. Someone on the very first page had an issue with an iPhone. It wasn't until I read that they said,

Beekje wrote

- Time setting are “Get automatically from the internet” and Holland is GMT+1
- Content restriction “Whitelist”

Ad internet access time I select some time and then it fade to the Color green. Now the “green time” the internet is blocked and the “ white time” th device can connect the internet.

that I was able to figure out, green isn't "go" it's NO! That is crazy confusing AND because the example TP-Link gives on their own page on how to set the time, it's no wonder people are confused and frustrated. I tested this "theory" on my Android phone and lo and behold; it WORKED!

So the issue is green is the time you want to turn OFF access to the internet as a whole. White will ALLOW internet access.

Also, devices will still be connected but they will not have access to anything on the web.
Options