Throughput / performance in residential setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-19 15:53:58
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am researching whether I should install TP-Link units in my home, replacing the existing WiFi connectivity.

I have read many reviews and personal accounts regarding throughput / performance differences attained by different users. I even viewed one YouTube video where the author claimed poor performance was blamed on "old wiring" within the house. As far as I know, the basic concept of residential wiring from a central power panel has not changed in 50+ years!

I question the (apparent) blind faith that rated performance can be achieved without understanding how typical residential wiring is installed. For example, every home has a power distribution panel where the main power comes in and is fed to various circuits in the home. The distribution panel contains two columns of circuit breakers. The 240 VAC from the "street" is divided into the left and right column of breakers, sometimes referred as "A" and "B" sources. An electrician attempts to "load balance" the sub-circuits so the power demand is approximately the same on each side.

Any outlets attached to the A side of the distribution panel will have the shortest path to each other. Likewise, outlets wired to the B side will enjoy the shortest path from one outlet, out to the panel, then back to the other outlet.

However, if a TP-Link signal must travel from an outlet on the A side to an outlet on the B side, the signal will need to travel on the A side wire all the way to the power transformer feeding your house out in the street and then back again on the B side wire. This has the potential of adding hundreds, if not thousands of feet of wire that needs to be traversed.

In my case, the power transformer feeding my house is 500 feet "down the road", thus adding about 1,000 feet of wire the TP-Link signal must traverse when bridging between the A and B side of the circuit panel. Also, 400 feet of the power feed is buried underground. In addition, there is possibly thousands of feet of wire in the secondary winding inside the power transformer itself.

Has anyone run performance tests to determine whether the distance traversed between the A and B side of the power panel really affects the network performance?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 0