AC3200 Loses Internet Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-24 02:54:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently purchased a TP-LINK AC3200 router as well as my own modem to eliminate paying monthly rental fees The modem is a Surfboard SB6141. After I got everything set up I noticed that my internet connection would drop and re-connect regularly. This is happening every few minutes. I figured it was a Comcast issue so I called them and spoke to the tech support. They said everything on their end looked good and that they could ping my modem repeatedly without any packet loss. I ran a ping test at the same time on my end and I would get some timeouts and general failure errors as well as many successful pings. I was doing this all from my desktop computer that is plugged directly into the TP-LINK router so it's not over wifi. He had me unplug from the router and plug directly into the modem (eliminating the router). I re-ran my ping test and everything is perfect. Not a single time out over a number of minutes. He concluded it is a router issue and that everything on their end is fine. I agree with him. I have since unplugged from the modem and plugged back into the router again and the drops started happening immediately.

Any idea what the issue is with the router? Are there settings that I can change that may eliminate this problem? I'm about ready to put the router back in the box and return it for another brand.

Even making this post was a challenge as my internet connection dropped several times.
Options
2 Reply
Re:AC3200 Loses Internet Connection
2017-02-24 16:03:13
Please try the following steps.
1. Keep the Archer C3200 and the Surfboard modem separated at first.
2. login the admin page of C3200, then refer to Advanced -> Network -> Internet, and make a MAC Clone to clone the computer's MAC address. Then reboot the router.
3. Reboot the Surfboard modem (better power off and then power on);
4. After that, connect the C3200 router to the modem and check if you could get a stable connection.
Options
Re:AC3200 Loses Internet Connection
2017-02-26 03:48:55
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and it did not resolve the problem. It's a shame becaues I really wanted to keep the TP-Link.

A friend brought over a Linksys router and it worked perfectly fine with no drops or packet loss. So it's definitely something to do with the TP-Link router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1556

Replies: 2