Archer C5400 Can't access Web router management page.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-13 00:47:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've tried looking this up and there really isn't much out there when it comes to troubleshooting the C5400 model.

Since I purchased this router 2 months ago, I've come to realize that Internet Explorer is better suited than Chrome when it comes to accessing the router management page through its IP address.

Recently, I noticed there was a firmware update while using the Tether App (which is very limited btw). After installing it, I lost the ability to access the management page from a web browser. I can still access the router through the Tether App but like I said, it's very limited and I can't setup DDNS or address reservation. Whenever I try to access the router's IP, it either does not load, loads the blue background and nothing more, or on the rare occasion, lets me login, but then freezes at main page after that. Everything is super slow and unresponsive. If I do a hard reset, everything is great, I setup every settings the way it was (I've tried doing backups and restore but also doing a fresh, clean setup) and eventually we get back to the same issue.

I have not added or removed new devices that connect to the router. I have about 18 devices connected at all time and I never had this issue until the recent upgrade.
This is getting super frustrating. The router operates fine (all my devices can connect wired or wireless) and I can access it through the Tether app, but web management does not work on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer on a Windows 10 Desktop or even my laptop. It also gives me the same issue if I try to access it through a web browser on my Android tablet or phone.

I've tried reflashing the firmware but I honestly have no idea if it worked, the progress bar does not change throughout the upgrade and then the router just reboots.

Firmware Version : 1.0.9 Build 20170406 rel.53986(5553) Hardware Version: ArcherC5400 v2.0

Please tell me if it's a current issue with the firmware or if it's my router being faulty.

Update: After some further factory resetting and messing around, I think I found the cause of the issue. One of the 18 devices connected to the router is a Wireless Access Point. Mainly, my old TP-Link Archer C7 is setup as a wireless access point to be used as a range extender. Due to the shape of my house, I am unable to get a good 5Ghz signal in my bedroom from the Archer c5400 (or even the Nighthawk X6 when I had that). So I took my Archer C7, set its IP to 192.168.0.2, disabled the DHCP server and connected the two routers through their LAN ports (not the WAN for the Archer C7). This essentially made the Archer C7 work as a WiFi extender and lets the Archer C5400 handle distributing the IP addresses. During one of my factory resets, I decided to omit setting up the Archer C7 and only use the C5400. After setting up all my address reservations, DDNS and other settings, I rebooted the router. Normally, this is where I start getting problems. But somehow, I was able to access the Web page again. Then I decided to plug back in the Archer C7 and noticed the Web management page on the C5400 was slow or impossible to reach again. I unplugged the Archer C7 and the C5400 page loaded fast again, no issues.

So basically, the cause of my issues is my Archer C7 setup as a WAP. Now I still think this is a firmware problem because I've had this setup since I had the Netgear Nighthawk X6 and I've never had this problem until the recent firmware upgrades.
Options
15 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 Can't access Web router management page.
2017-05-17 21:39:50
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

I have exactly the same router the TP-Link C5400 V2, with exactly the same firmware as you.

I use the TP-Link RE450 in access point mode. As soon as this is turned on, the router web management stops working. Turn the RE450 off, and all is well again.

Please sort this out.

Also, in the 1.0.9 firmware, when you reserve an IP in the DHCP server, the description is not saved either. Very annoying.
Options
2017-05-19 14:24:15

alanplum241276 wrote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

I have exactly the same router the TP-Link C5400 V2, with exactly the same firmware as you.

I use the TP-Link RE450 in access point mode. As soon as this is turned on, the router web management stops working. Turn the RE450 off, and all is well again.

Please sort this out.

Also, in the 1.0.9 firmware, when you reserve an IP in the DHCP server, the description is not saved either. Very annoying.

I found the solution to my problem. Due to the shape of my house, I have my modem and c5400 on one side of the house, a 50ft cord goes to a switch in my office, and from my office, the C7 is connected as a WAP along with my PCs and consoles. That dumb, unmanaged switch is also tplink and is plugged to a UPS so it hasn't shut off in a few months. I decided to reboot it and all my problems have been solved. I can now access the web management page while the C7 is plugged in.

But you are right, I did notice that none of the descriptions I inputed for my 19 devices are saved in the address reservation. This firmware has been nothing but a giant headache.
Options
2017-05-19 15:32:10
:(:(:(
Options
2017-05-19 15:37:47

Blackdave wrote

I found the solution to my problem. Due to the shape of my house, I have my modem and c5400 on one side of the house, a 50ft cord goes to a switch in my office, and from my office, the C7 is connected as a WAP along with my PCs and consoles. That dumb, unmanaged switch is also tplink and is plugged to a UPS so it hasn't shut off in a few months. I decided to reboot it and all my problems have been solved. I can now access the web management page while the C7 is plugged in.

But you are right, I did notice that none of the descriptions I inputed for my 19 devices are saved in the address reservation. This firmware has been nothing but a giant headache.

Blackdave, this is so uncanny.

I have *exactly* the same setup as you. I also have a dumb switch into which the access point is plugged into *also plugged into a ups*.

I'll give that a go tonight and hopefully end my woes. All I can think is the ARP tables in the dumb switch are screwed.

I've reported the non-saving of the DHCP description to TP-Link. There are a few other bugs in 1.0.9 too, like when you add a virtual server (portforward.) the list does not remain constant. e.g adding a rule, rule1 become 1, rule2 becomes 1 and rule1 becomes 2, rule3 becomes 1,rule2 becomes 3 etc. Very annoying if you have OCD.

I'll give my switch a kick tonight and report back.
Options
2017-05-22 03:29:16
Well, I have resolved my problem but very different to yours. Rebooting my switch didn't do anything so I dug deeper. I have changed 2 things only and my issues have now gone away. 1. I set the RE450 to channels 44-48 on a 40Mhz bandwidth and set the C5400 on 52 upwards with auto bandwidth. (It was on 80)Since doing this everything has been hunky dory so I can only assume that because they were on the same wifi band this was causing this undesirable feature. So, I'm now a happy bunny and everything is working. Support did get back to me saying they will fix the dhcp description bug in a future firmware update.
Options
2017-05-22 22:02:52

alanplum241276 wrote

Well, I have resolved my problem but very different to yours. Rebooting my switch didn't do anything so I dug deeper. I have changed 2 things only and my issues have now gone away. 1. I set the RE450 to channels 44-48 on a 40Mhz bandwidth and set the C5400 on 52 upwards with auto bandwidth. (It was on 80)Since doing this everything has been hunky dory so I can only assume that because they were on the same wifi band this was causing this undesirable feature. So, I'm now a happy bunny and everything is working. Support did get back to me saying they will fix the dhcp description bug in a future firmware update.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution. The solution I mentioned above only worked for a few days. I noticed yesterday that accessing the Web page was slow to impossible (even after rebooting both routers). At the time of the creation of this forum post, I also contacted TP-Link support and they provided me with multiple steps on troubleshooting and resolving the issue. None of it worked. Eventually, I was sent a beta update of the C5400 firmware. I decided to apply it yesterday and I can confirm that even without rebooting the switch or the C7, the issue is resolved. For how long? I'm not sure. The beta update changes the white background to one that is splattered with "TP-LINK BETA" all over. So it definitely installed the beta firmware.

Let's hope this resolves my issue and it doesn't end up being slow again in 5 days.

Oh, and the device description on the DHCP address reservation page is still not saving on this beta firmware.
Options
2017-05-23 05:57:08

Blackdave wrote

I'm glad you were able to find a solution. The solution I mentioned above only worked for a few days. I noticed yesterday that accessing the Web page was slow to impossible (even after rebooting both routers). At the time of the creation of this forum post, I also contacted TP-Link support and they provided me with multiple steps on troubleshooting and resolving the issue. None of it worked. Eventually, I was sent a beta update of the C5400 firmware. I decided to apply it yesterday and I can confirm that even without rebooting the switch or the C7, the issue is resolved. For how long? I'm not sure. The beta update changes the white background to one that is splattered with "TP-LINK BETA" all over. So it definitely installed the beta firmware.Let's hope this resolves my issue and it doesn't end up being slow again in 5 days.Oh, and the device description on the DHCP address reservation page is still not saving on this beta firmware.
Out of interest was it 1.0.9.P4 20170413-rel76902?They sent that one to me but have been wary about installing beta firmware.
Options
2017-05-24 02:35:22

alanplum241276 wrote

Out of interest was it 1.0.9.P4 20170413-rel76902?They sent that one to me but have been wary about installing beta firmware.

That's the one! I was wary at first too but I decided to try it once my issue came back. It's been good so far. Hopefully it isn't just a placebo. I'm able to access it over Chrome or Internet explorer and even remotely from work without any slow downs.
Options
2017-05-27 07:25:44
Same issues here after updating to latest firmware offered on TP-Link website,1.09US. I installed the beta firmware and the issue was resolved. Tech mentioned some people had the issue and some did not, so unsure why that is since issue was not seen on 1.05 FW. Anyways trying to find out if you guys were able to get the reason for the fix, but more importantly if you also asked them to release a normal firmware with the fix. The beta watermark plasterd over the settings pages makes it hard to read.

Another issue seen with the 1.09 FW and beta firmware, is the time settings page has issues with DST and possibly with time zone choices. When I went to 1.09 from 1.05 my default settings for the time setting page, were blank. So time servers needed to be added along with the DST settings. If I check the box to use DST, it still says it is off. Anyone know a fix? Thanks
Options
2017-05-28 06:05:32

robe36 wrote

Same issues here after updating to latest firmware offered on TP-Link website,1.09US. I installed the beta firmware and the issue was resolved. Tech mentioned some people had the issue and some did not, so unsure why that is since issue was not seen on 1.05 FW. Anyways trying to find out if you guys were able to get the reason for the fix, but more importantly if you also asked them to release a normal firmware with the fix. The beta watermark plasterd over the settings pages makes it hard to read.

Another issue seen with the 1.09 FW and beta firmware, is the time settings page has issues with DST and possibly with time zone choices. When I went to 1.09 from 1.05 my default settings for the time setting page, were blank. So time servers needed to be added along with the DST settings. If I check the box to use DST, it still says it is off. Anyone know a fix? Thanks

I had this issue with the time settings prior to updating to the beta firmware. What fixed it for me was a factory reset. I haven't experienced it since then. The beta firmware watermark is annoying on the initial page for both Basic and Advanced tabs. But other pages are still legible. I am currently happy with this fix and am able to access the page even from Chrome, which was previously slow to use. I do wish for an official release but I'm just afraid I'll end up back in the same situation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4493

Replies: 15