TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Severe Security Compromise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-19 04:58:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

First, it is a wonderful small travel router with remarkable range. But I am deeply disturbed to find that "PPTP/Russia PPTP" means ABSOLUTELY NO ENCRYPTION. With remarkably bad taste calling this travesty of a VPN by the name "Russia PPTP" makes one wonder if the true meaning implies that to get the full transcript of everything you do, just contact the office of V. Putin or his numerous agents in Washington DC. What is TP-Link thinking?

This mis-implementation of PPTP will not accept encrypted links which makes it not only near useless but dangerous too. It is not clear whether TP-Link outsourced to FSB/Great Wall approved developers but it is not acceptable to inflict running in the clear without warning. True, PPTP is not robust, but it will defeat casual snoopers and many of the less determined. I will NEVER open my PPTP server side software to no encryption. If TP-Link meant this in good faith, it should have been in the form of a SOCKs proxy.

I would like a damn good answer or I will post very explicit warning to Amazon.
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Severe Security Compromise
2017-07-02 14:49:13
Hello and just came online with this forum and came across your feed. wow!! i just bought the same thing and i read what you have to say . Very bad indeed. Even bad for me , i bought this and CANNOT for the life of me get on ANY website to log into this product. No matter what direction i take, it be ip address or tplinklogin.net , all is either website took to long to respond or site cannot be reached. Really ,you want me to buy your product but i have to spend countless hours just trying to load all info into it. iam on the verge of returning it back to where i bought it from and put it where the sun does'nt shine. Angry.
Options
2017-07-03 14:19:12

Sandman10 wrote

Hello and just came online with this forum and came across your feed. wow!! i just bought the same thing and i read what you have to say . Very bad indeed. Even bad for me , i bought this and CANNOT for the life of me get on ANY website to log into this product. No matter what direction i take, it be ip address or tplinklogin.net , all is either website took to long to respond or site cannot be reached. Really ,you want me to buy your product but i have to spend countless hours just trying to load all info into it. iam on the verge of returning it back to where i bought it from and put it where the sun does'nt shine. Angry.

Hi,
Which working modem do you want to setup on the device? You can try only connect your computer to the TL-WR902AC by cable or Wi-Fi, then login with 192.168.0.1 or http://tplinkwifi.net.
Options
Wary of keeping this Travel Router
2017-08-09 11:04:15
Came to this thread looking for help setting up this travel router for use at public hotspots with a secure VPN client and am unhappy to see what the OP found. Based on the limited responses and the long times between the few posts I am not hopeful for the help I was looking for or the answer to the OP post which also touches on my concerns.
Options
2017-08-29 10:41:59
Public hotspots usually have limits, or it required authentication that the tplink router may not support. If every time you need to login with a username and password to access internet, then you can try set the tplink as a regular router, then authenticate on one of your computers, and your other devices can go straight to internet. May work, you can try.
Options
2018-09-06 19:32:15
I always connect to the hostpot with my laptop, then go through the web page signon / processing when required. Then I access the travel router and have it use my MAC number (clone PC) so when it connects, it won't be prompted with the web page.
Options