Blocked from having personal wireless router at work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-24 01:03:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Here's the situation: I work at an airport in a large metal hangar, and my cell phone service provider has terrible coverage here. I set up WiFi calling so that I can use my phone while sitting in my office, but the wireless network my office provides is very slow and doesn't have enough bandwidth for everyone using it (1.2 mbps download on average). So when I first started, I brought my old $20 router to work, plugged it into a ethernet port, and had my own network for about 1 month. Then, it stopped working; I could see the network on my phone and laptop, but couldn't connect. Every time I tapped to connect, it would connect for 1-2 seconds, ask for the password, and immediately disconnect and switch back to the company's network. I tried "Forgetting" the company network, updating the latest firmware on the router, and even disabling the WP2 password, but nothing worked.

So, I went and bought this TP-LINK router, and am having the exact same problem. I've tried auto-channel, I've tried selecting specific channels, but no luck. Every time I tap to connect to my network (which is visible and sitting next to me), it tries for 1-3 seconds to connect and immediately disconnects, even with the password disabled. I'm wondering what changed at my office to cause this? I've switched ethernet ports so I don't think IT is blocking a specific port (I can plug my laptop directly into the router and it works), so I'm wondering if there's some signal interference or if IT can block my signal???
Options
1 Reply
Re:Blocked from having personal wireless router at work?
2017-05-28 16:00:04

rustys209 wrote

I'm wondering if there's some signal interference or if IT can block my signal???

Start by asking IT if they indeed are, there is no point troubleshooting until you know for sure it's your router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 364

Replies: 1

Related Articles