Access Point Mode Upgrade?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-21 03:07:36
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I purchased the DECO and really love the ease of setup and solid performance, but... my fault I didn't read specs upfront closely enough to realize it couldn't be used as a mesh access point to my existing router configuration and instead throws up a whole new overlay network. So I can't use it with SONOS and other network-connected devices on my router-based network.

The C-NET review suggested a firmware upgrade might be out in June to add access point mode, is this still planned or is there otherwise somewhere I can obtain it to try it out (I checked the firmware downloads for DECO but doesn't obviously appear there)? I'd hate to have to go back to my old single-point WAP.

Thanks,

- jeff
Options
10 Reply
Re:Access Point Mode Upgrade?
2017-06-27 09:04:15
Don't worry. The Access Point mode is still planned. But the release date has been delayed to July.
Options
2017-07-27 20:24:19
Just came searching for info on the Access Point mode, and found this thread. It is July 27 today, so only few more days before new firmware?

Also, will the new firmware fix the reported issues with wired backhaul connected devices that are out of WiFi range from other Deco's stopping?
Options
2017-07-28 00:42:47
Not adding any value to this thread, other than to emphasize that AP mode is REALLY needed for my application.
I have far too many devices with reserved IPs, as well as ports forwarded, not to mention that my WRT1900AC is simply a good router, to have to try to get the M5 to play nice with my main router.
I am also disappointed in lack of web based interface (which the sales person at Fry's assured me that it had)...but I can work past this if I can use this to get a good signal throughout my home and property.

Is there a place within TP-Link.com where I can see if updates are available? Since my M5 is basically unplugged at the moment, it will not be getting updates on it's own, and I have no issue searching...
Options
2017-07-28 02:47:12
Try checking for updates using the Deco app. That worked for me, and I now have AP-Mode as an option.
Options
2017-07-28 04:12:17
Hello,The new firmware is available since today. I have installed it and it includes the AP mode. Had somebody tried ? What are the steps required ?Creating a new network ?Thanks
Options
2017-07-28 04:17:14
Test
Options
2017-07-28 05:04:46
FYI: Just updated to the latest firmware.
Options
2017-07-29 04:59:43
OK, Updated to the new firmware and the latest App from the Appstore. Even though it has only been less than 48hrs since my initial deployment, both needed updates. Talk about timing ;-)

Quick Summary: AP mode works as does wired backhaul, but the order in which you do things matters.

Since I wanted AP mode, I only deployed one Deco yesterday, and it was in router mode. After updating the App, I connected to the Deco and asked it to upgrade firmware, which it did.
Once it rebooted, I was able to flip the working mode to Access Point

To add the second and third Decos to the Network, follow the app instructions, but do it via WiFi only (nothing connected to the ethernet ports) and in their target locations. It will prompt to update the firmware for each unit, let it do that.

Once both secondary Decos are enrolled, then connect the wired backhaul ethernet to the units. They will blink Yellow, then red, then after a bit Green. One unit did not fully cycle, and required powering down, then back on with the ethernet connected before it showed back up as 'OK' on the Deco app.

They seem to be giving good coverage, I have yet to do the full site survey with Netspot Pro, but a quick scan shows that I'm getting strong signals where it matters.

However, the automatic channel selection is less than ideal. My neighbors are far away, and most days, can't see their WiFi on the scanner. So using 2.4Ghz channels 1, 6 and 11 is perfectly OK in my home, and manually configured APs have been on those channels with no issues. But right now they are on 2, 6 and 9, so all with some degree of overlap. All the 5Ghz radios are on the exact same channel, 48. Again, zero competition on any other channel. Is it because of the mesh thing that the radios need to all share the same 5ghz channel?

Considering the backhaul is wired, this is less than ideal WiFi config.
Options
2017-08-04 03:07:11
I found your instructions AFTER updating ... It appears that one of my APs is not connected to the network as it is only showing 2 APs. Do I need to reset that unit, then follow your directions again for that unit? Thanks
Options
2017-08-04 18:14:12

crashmw wrote

I found your instructions AFTER updating ... It appears that one of my APs is not connected to the network as it is only showing 2 APs. Do I need to reset that unit, then follow your directions again for that unit? Thanks

I went through the same thing. Just unplug it for a bit to reboot it, that did it for me.

I think the transition from WiFi for the enrollment step, to now being on wired backhaul works best if the swapover in connectivity is done while powered off.

If that fails, then yes, reset, re-update, re-enroll. Power down, attach ethernet, power up.
Options