How are you guys confirming backhaul is working?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-09 23:44:03
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Bought the Deco 3 pack and backhaul isn't working. I have gigabit internet.

Here's my setup:

Internet > Main Deco > (A) TP-Link TL-SG108 switch > secondary deco
(A) TP-Link TL-SG108 switch > Bonded Moca adapter > Bonded Moca adapter> (B) TP-Link TL-SG108 switch > third Deco

Anything connected via ethernet to either of the switches gets full throughput ~ 900mbps. So the throughput is making it to the switches that feed the extra Decos. The switches also don't do anything but forward the connection. They're not setting up separate VLANS or anything.

The secondary and third decos however cap out at 300mbps and 150 mbps relative to which one is closer to the main Deco.

It is possible everyone thinks backhaul works because they don't have a connection fast enough to see a difference? I just don't get it. I've even connected one Deco directly to another one and backhaul doesn't work.
Options
6 Reply
Re:How are you guys confirming backhaul is working?
2017-07-11 13:40:35
Have you tried to connect the secondary Deco directly to the LAN port of the Main one bypassing the switch?
What about the speed test result now on the second unit?
Options
2017-07-12 01:28:37

TP-Link Deco wrote

Have you tried to connect the secondary Deco directly to the LAN port of the Main one bypassing the switch?
What about the speed test result now on the second unit?

No change in performance.
Options
2017-07-12 02:11:21
I am having exact same issue.
Modem -> Deco 5 (1) :-> Gigabit Switch 1 :-> Gigabit Switch 2--> Deco 5 (2)
--> Deco 5 (3)
I tried resetting it but still not working.
When i connect my old router to switch 2 it works fine in Access Point mode and gives full speed.
Can you please help me to connect Deco 5 (2) & Deco 5 (3) . All other devices connected to Gigabit Switch 1 :-> Gigabit Switch 2 via LAN are working fine.
Detailed steps regarding this will be appreciated.
Options
2017-07-12 10:08:42
@santoshhyadav
Have you tried to connect the second Deco directly to the LAN port of the main one? Will it work in this case? If yes, it seems an issue between Deco and the switches. Try to change the management IP address of the switches for a check.
Need to clarify that you need to firstly set up the three units in the same network via the Deco app before you use the Ethernet Backhaul features.
Options
2017-07-13 04:58:11

TP-Link Deco wrote

@santoshhyadav
Have you tried to connect the second Deco directly to the LAN port of the main one? Will it work in this case? If yes, it seems an issue between Deco and the switches. Try to change the management IP address of the switches for a check.
Need to clarify that you need to firstly set up the three units in the same network via the Deco app before you use the Ethernet Backhaul features.

No change in performance. So what do I do now?
Options
2017-07-13 13:54:15

jimpc wrote

No change in performance. So what do I do now?

May I know how do you test the throughput?

It's recommended to test as below:

1. Modem ---- Deco1 ----- PC
2. Modem ---- Deco1 ----- Deco2 ------ PC
Test the speed on the PC via speedtest.net
Note: Unplug any other network devices during the test.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1190

Replies: 6