TL-WR902AC: can't ping/access other intranet clients by hosthame from IOS clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR902AC: can't ping/access other intranet clients by hosthame from IOS clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-27 22:37:01
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model: TL-WR90AC
Firmware: 3.16.9 Build 20160905

I just purchased the AC750 Travel Router. Works great but has 1 significant issue: when running in Standard Router or Hotspot mode, iOS clients CANNOT access (or even ping) any other clients by hostname, it says "server not found". However, Windows clients CAN access/ping any other client by hostname.

For example: I have 3 client machine to the router conncting via-wifi, WINCLIENT1, WINCLIENT2, IOSCLIENT (i.,e. an iphone or ipad). All 3 can properly access hosts/domains on internet (e.g. google.com, amazon.com, etc). But on the local network, WINCLIENT1 an WINCLIENT2 can successfully ping any of the 3 client machines by hotname e.g. "ping IOSCLIENT". But IOSCLIENT cannot ping ANY of the other local clients by hotname, e.g. "ping WINCLIENT1" from the IOSCLIENT generate "host not found".

Note: if I swap out the AC750 travel router for any typicl "full size" router such as a linksys or ASUS rouer, then this issue does not occur.

DHCP is on, LAN is set to default 192.168.0.1 and Gateway and DNS set to 192.168.0.1 also.

In short: on the intranet (local network), the router's DNS is not resolving hostnames for IOS cliens, but is properly resolving for Windows clients.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC: can't ping/access other intranet clients by hosthame from IOS clients
2017-07-28 15:38:00
The router doesn't support Net-Bios(Hostname), but as LLMNR protocol, you can ping hostname on windows devices, but cannot do it on Mac OS or Linux.
Options
Re:TL-WR902AC: can't ping/access other intranet clients by hosthame from IOS clients
2017-07-29 21:59:25
In the scenario above, one of the Windows clients is serving a website to the local intranet, e.g. WINCLIENT1 is serving a website that should be accessed by other clients on the local intranet only.

If I use a browser to access http://
WINCLIENT1/MYSITE/ on any windows-based client on the local intranet, it works. However, OS based clients cannot access http://WINCLIENT1/MYSITE/ - generates "server not found".

Seems there is no local hostname resolution for IOS clients, but there is for windows clients to the TP-Link
TL-WR90AC. Setting a static IP to the server host such as 192.168.0.101 won't entirely solve the issue either, i.e. accessing http://192.168.0.101/MYSITE/ won't fully work as the website responds by serving pages with the hostname in the url.

Hard to believe that in this day and age TP-Link would ship firmware with a travel router that accommodates Windows clients for local hostname DNS resolution, but not IOS clients...

Is there any solution to have proper local intranet DNS hostname resolution for IOS clients on the
TL-WR90AC, without having to access an internet-based DNS such as SmartyDNS etc?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1420

Replies: 2

Related Articles