Archer ac2600 Parental Controls: DNS timeouts during "UNBLOCKED" times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-12 22:01:38
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

When I turn on Parental Controls and set two devices to be blocked between midnight and 6am, traffic is blocked even OUTSIDE that time range. DNS failures occur.

I have Archer ac2600 v1.0 hardware with latest available US firmware. I had problem with older firmware also so retried with latest firmware. When I have turned on parental controls, and setup 2 devices to be blocked midnight to 6am, I then go to verify operation in the "UNBLOCKED" timeframe. So at 10pm, I get a command prompt on windows and do "nslookup www.yahoo.com". It fails, giving timeouts / timeout errors. If I then turn off parental controls, then DNS works fine from that device.

My only workaround is to stay up to midnight, use Tether to block the device, and then get up at 6am and use Tether to unblock the device.

I need to use a timed schedule. Please help figure out if this is a repeating problem for others.
Alan
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer ac2600 Parental Controls: DNS timeouts during "UNBLOCKED" times
2017-08-14 15:06:30
Did you setup the time settings correctly? Is your router with the latest firmware?
You may share us the settings screenshots, so we can help to check.
Options
2017-08-15 04:39:46
Issue resolved, but first answering questions:
- Yes I verified the time settings were correct.
- I was running latest firmware

It turns out that I had used Tether to block the devices in question completely. I mistakenly left that in effect while adding parental controls on the same devices. The two operations are separate. Tether's setting affects a different area of the UI (Security area).

Turned off the full block with Tether, and the parental controls' "schedule" began to work great for my pupose.

Apologies for the eror.
Alan
Options
2017-08-15 17:13:10
;)everyone may make a mistake.Glad to hear it is working now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 3