C5400 V2 (firmware?) bug: the 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C5400 V2 (firmware?) bug: the 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
58 Reply
Re:C5400 V2 (firmware?) bug: the 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country
2017-09-05 02:18:25

djf8 wrote

My C5400 started to do the exact same thing after upgrading to 170630. I called and chatted into support and they wanted me to try a beta firmware but both were unable to send me a link until a "senior tech" was available on Monday. So I get to sit here for a weekend with a broken router that is less than a month old. Pretty frustrating TP-Link....pretty frustrating.

I got the beta firmware "Archer C5400(US)_V2_170801_beta". It still has the same problem. No matter how many factory resets or firmware flashes I've done the problem persists today. Now waiting for a "Senior Engineer" to look at my problem and possible setup an RMA. I have to say I'm disappointed in TP-Links customer support here. I'm going on day 4 here with a $250 paper weight instead of the high end wireless router I thought I was buying.
Options
Re:C5400 V2 (firmware?) bug: the 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country
2017-09-05 11:49:37
Sorry to hear that. Do you remember what exactly caused your problem? Did you try to play with manual channel selection then you just lost your 5GHz network?

I'm surprised there hasn't been too many complaints about it yet. As said previously, I believe this is a firmware issue, but I just don't understand why it's so difficult for them to figure it out. This is a major bug!

Well, I guess I'll keep the router with stock firmware for a couple more weeks. If I still don't see a solution from tp link, I'll return it.

djf8 wrote

I got the beta firmware "Archer C5400(US)_V2_170801_beta". It still has the same problem. No matter how many factory resets or firmware flashes I've done the problem persists today. Now waiting for a "Senior Engineer" to look at my problem and possible setup an RMA. I have to say I'm disappointed in TP-Links customer support here. I'm going on day 4 here with a $250 paper weight instead of the high end wireless router I thought I was buying.
Options
2017-09-06 03:25:49

c5400_bug wrote

Sorry to hear that. Do you remember what exactly caused your problem? Did you try to play with manual channel selection then you just lost your 5GHz network?

I'm surprised there hasn't been too many complaints about it yet. As said previously, I believe this is a firmware issue, but I just don't understand why it's so difficult for them to figure it out. This is a major bug!

Well, I guess I'll keep the router with stock firmware for a couple more weeks. If I still don't see a solution from tp link, I'll return it.

I updated my firmware to the latest that was available (170630) about a week before this all started. Three or four days after updating my router rebooted itself and refused to start up.....just got a continuous boot loop. Unplugged the router and let it sit for a while and tried again and it came up. I chalked that up to a random occurrence and went on like things were working again. Then on Sept 1st after getting home from work I noticed my phone wasn't connected to my home wireless. I opened up my wireless setting on my phone and didn't see my wireless network. Logged into the router and everything looked correct and showed enabled. There were also no logs that said anything about the wifi, just a bunch of LED controller logs. I did a factory reset and ever since then I've had the, "Note: The 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country" message.

Customer service has been less than helpful. It's taken them 4 days to issue me an RMA number and on top of that the RMA site doesn't recognize my serial number. The RMA site customer support agent told me I'd need to wait 1-2 additional days for their site to recognize my product so I can start the RMA process....which they have told me can take up to 2 weeks.

As you can imagine TP-Link has lost a future customer in me based on how much of a fiasco getting this thing replaced has been. They have no way of knowing but I happen to be the network administrator for a public school district. They'll not only not get a recommendation from me for projects but I'll advocate against purchasing TP-Link for anything we do going forward.
Options
2017-09-07 10:46:14
Another thing worth of mentioning is sometimes it's extremely slow to connect to the router login page. Again, I'm surprised not many complain about it. Maybe the c5400 user base is still small.

Waiting for the new firmware to come out to address these issues.
Options
2017-09-10 14:05:44
I have a related problem. I'm not sure if this is due to the latest firmware, but it does coincide with the problems I've been having. I only got my AC5400 last Friday. I configured it and it was working properly. I gave each band a different SSID and I had no trouble connecting devices to each band. Once I upgraded to the latest firmware I starged getting weird behavior on the 5Ghz-1 band. For some reason, I could connect to it without issues, but I couldn't access the internet. I confirmed this via my desktop (wifi only) and my phone which connected fine and had internet access on the 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz-2 band. When trying to connecting to the 5Ghz-1 band, it would be slow to connect, but once it did connect, both my phone and desktop did not have internet access. I confirmed using my wife's phone that something was wrong with the 5Ghz-1 band.

HOWEVER, upon further investigation, it looks like my Roku 3 could connect to the 5Ghz-1 band AND have internet access. I streamed a few things from Netflix just to be sure. I've reset the router to factory default and the same behavior exists on the 5Ghz-1 band. What's peculiar is even if the Roku is unplugged, no other device can take it's place. One and only one device on my 5Ghz-1 and that's the Roku 3. Anyone else having similar issues?
Options
2017-09-18 10:30:05
I have this same problem. Out of the box all three bands worked fine. I updated firmware and boom, the 1st 5hz band is grayed out and not on. I get the same error message as in the tittle of this thread. I'm not happy. I think i might just return it. I have two more days on Amazon prime to do so.
Options
2017-09-19 00:56:16
I have this same issue. I bought a tri-band router and want a tri-band router.
Options
2017-09-20 00:28:44

Lag1791 wrote

I have this same problem. Out of the box all three bands worked fine. I updated firmware and boom, the 1st 5hz band is grayed out and not on. I get the same error message as in the tittle of this thread. I'm not happy. I think i might just return it. I have two more days on Amazon prime to do so.

I decided to exchange it for a new AC5400 last Thursday. I definitely think my issues are firmware related. I'm still on the 170630 firmware on the new router and haven't had any issues. I'm definitely not upgrading to the new firmware until this is fixed.
Options
2017-09-21 01:10:56
My RMA finally came in yesterday and has been working perfectly since then. I will just plan to skip the next several firmware updates in the hopes they get their act together and release some actual working firmware to the public.
Options
2017-09-22 00:08:03

djf8 wrote

My RMA finally came in yesterday and has been working perfectly since then. I will just plan to skip the next several firmware updates in the hopes they get their act together and release some actual working firmware to the public.

So you're back on the 170406 firmware?
Options