Recommended Troubleshooting for IoT Device Stability with Mesh Networks (myQ, Ring, Sonos, etc)

Released On: 2024-02-29 19:54:00Last update time: 2024-02-29 19:55:18

If you are having trouble connecting to or controlling your IoT devices, such as myQ garage door openers or Ring Doorbells, there are many solutions from the community about how to minimize these unexpected behaviors. Please use the following list of troubleshooting features to see if any of the following settings helps your devices and connections.

Why Does the Issue Exist in the First Place? Why Does it Only Affect Some Devices?

Many IoT devices, not just those from myQ, use older technologies for their devices since they will never make use of the features that come with the latest generations of Wi-Fi.

Across ours and other forums, you will find similar behaviors for IoT devices interacting with Mesh Networks.

Some of the behaviors that can be seen using default settings and older IoT devices:

• Unable to Connect Device to Your Home Network
  • Device is Unable to Stay Connected to your Home Wi-Fi network.
  • Deco App Creates Constant “New Device Connected” notifications.
  • Your devices have trouble reaching myQ sites and services

Recommended Troubleshooting Steps:

• Update your Deco Firmware and App to the Latest Version Ensure you have the latest software installed on your Deco units. These updates often include fixes to help improve compatibility and stability for devices. You can find the latest version listed on your Product’s Download Page.

• Check the compatibility of Wireless Security Settings for Authentication

It has been reported that some devices have been updated and now prefer to use newer, more secure authentication types.

• Option 2: Configure Your IoT Network’s Settings separate from your Main Wi-Fi
      • Your IoT network may be configured independently from your main network:
      • Configure Your Deco’s IoT Network to use WPA2/WPA3
      • Try setting the IoT network to only use the 2.4GHz band, the band preferred by most IoT devices.
      • See Article: What is an IoT network? for more information on available features.

• Adjust Settings in the Deco App for Affected Devices:
    • Disable Beamforming
    • Disable Mesh Technology
    • Disable Fast Roaming
    • Enable UPnP or Set a Port Forwarding Rule to Open Port TCP 8883

Community Recommended Troubleshooting:

There has been a lot of feedback on this topic, resulting in a large number of cases and solutions. Each and everyone’s case is different, and while a behavior may look similar, the cause may be from completely different sources – each with its own solutions.

Below are some of the features / steps that our community has mentioned as possible fixes for similar-looking behaviors. You may consider looking through the below solutions and cases to see if they may fit your case:

Use the Connection Preference Setting:

If your Deco Model supports the feature, you may consider setting a ‘Connection Preference’ for the affected device – forcing the device to connect to a specific node.

• Requires Enabling ‘Mesh Technology’ Which is a Far More Likely Culprit
  • Forces a Device to Connect to a Specific Deco Node, Preventing a RE

See FAQ: How to Configure a Signal or Connection Preference in the Deco App

Create a Manual IP Reservation with a Low-Range IP for the Device:

(The reason this fix worked for a few users with myQ openers is currently unknown.)

In the Deco App, configure an IP Reservation for the device. The newly set IP address should be at the lower end of your assignable address pool.

See FAQ: How to Configure the IP Address Reservation Feature on Deco

--

Have Another Solution? Leave a Comment Below!

Need Additional Help? Create a New Forum Post or Contact our Support Team

For More Information from Chamberlain myQ: Please See Their FAQ on Recommended Wi-Fi Settings

Comment

XE75 Pro 3-pack

Version 1.6

Firmware 1.2.5 build 20231226 rel 75366

IoT security: WPA2/WPA3 is NOT an option (only WPA2 or WPA/WPA2)

Very expensive sytem that touts the MESH technology yet now you're saying turn it off make it more stable?!

Is the MESH only advantageous to devices that are not stationary like phones tablets etc?

Had a remote session scheduled with a "senior engineer" at 4 AM EST this moning because their working hours are GMT -8 to help me with several issues. Never showed up!

One issue I had initially was with a Neato D7 vacbot that would not reconnect. Neato Customer Service, which responded quickly, resolved by having me turn off UPnP and Fast Roaming. Again, I assume these are features that cause the cost of this system to be high. I don't know whay fast roaming is but isn't UpnP a "plug and play" system to aid in quick connection? Why did that work?

App displays 16 devices "offline" of which only 4 are truely turned off - the other 12 are ONline and working??!!

Prior to this system, I had a Netgear ORBI 2-pack WiFi5 that NEVER had any of these issues.

I am very UNimpressed with this $400 investment.

My solution was to bring back in to my network old faithful Apple Extremes & Apple Express

Deco X60s with the Kasa V.3 app and all the updates have been nothing but PIA. 

upload
    upload