Using the Firmware Recovery Tool

Released On: 2021-02-05 17:26:14Last update time: 2023-12-01 17:42:12

There are two methods to recover the Deco if it becomes brick: one is using the HTTP Uboot web-based interface to recover and the second is using the TFTP tool to recover.

Firmware Recovery Method

Supported Models

HTTP Uboot Method

Deco E4
Deco M4
Deco P9
Deco M9 Plus
Deco X20/X60 V1 (firmware 1.2.5 or later version)
Deco X20 V1.2 and later version
Deco X60 V2 and later 

Deco S4

TFTP Tool

Deco M5

Deco P7

Note: The X20 v1.0/X60 v1.0 with the factory default firmware 1.2.5 and later could support the HTTP Uboot method if it is upgraded to the latest firmware version. The X20 v1.0/X60 v1.0 with the factory default firmware early than 1.2.5 cannot support firmware recovery no matter the cx has upgraded the firmware or not.

Method 1: Tftp tool( Taking Deco P7 as an example)

You can go to http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html to download the TFTP tool and install it.

Step 1

Go to the TP-Link official website to download the latest new firmware and extract the firmware zip file on the desktop, then connect a Windows computer wired to the LAN port of a Deco unit. (It’s suggested to use a new and better quality Ethernet cable otherwise you will not see any info under the log viewer page). Please change the bin file name to M5v1_tp_recovery.bin or P7v1_tp_recovery.bin, If your bin file name is incorrect (for example, I entered the name as M5 1.0_tp_recovery), you will see the error message on the tftpd64 page like this:

Step 2

Set up a static IP address on the Windows computer:

Firstly, find the PC icon at the bottom right of the Desktop, right-click the icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center, choose Local Area Connection (or Ethernet).

Secondly, click Properties, double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), choose Use the following IP address, then input the IP address as 192.168.0.66, and the Subnet as 255.255.255.0. Click OK (two OK options).

Step 3

Search and download the TFTP software for your Windows PC. If you are using 64bit please install the tftpd64 application and launch it. Click Browse and choose the Deco M5 or P7’s firmware folder. Then switch to the Log Viewer window.

Step 4

With the PC still plugged into the Deco with a cable, power off the Deco unit, press and hold the RESET button on the back panel firstly, then power on the unit while still holding the RESET button. Wait for about 10 seconds until a file transferring process occurs in the Log Viewer window. Then release the RESET button.

Step 5

The LED will be blinking green-blue, just wait for about 2 minutes until the unit recovers to solid green, which indicates it has successfully updated the latest firmware.

Step 6

Just connect the computer wired to another Deco unit, then repeat the above steps until all the units are upgraded to the new firmware.

Note: The upgrade will not require re-setup of your Deco system. You can install the new firmware one by one in different orders, but it’s recommended to upgrade the main Deco at first, then the second, and then the third one.

Method 2: HTTP Uboot web-based interface (Taking Deco M4 as an example)

Community link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/672

Step 1

Go to the TP-Link official website to download the latest new firmware and extract the firmware zip file on the desktop, then connect a Windows computer wired to the LAN port of a Deco unit. (It’s suggested to use a new and better quality Ethernet cable otherwise you will not see any info under the log viewer page). Setup static IP as 192.168.0.xxx/24 on the PC.

Step 2

With the PC still plugged into the Deco with a cable, power off the Deco unit, press and hold the RESET button on the back panel firstly, then power on the unit while still holding the RESET button. Wait for about 10 seconds until the Deco LED from solid Yellow to blinking Yellow. Open a web browser and login 192.168.0.1, you will see the following upgrade page:

Firmware Upgrade

Choose the firmware file from your local disk and click Upgrade.

Choose File  Upgrade

Tips:

• Do NOT power off your Decos during the upgrade.
  • Make sure the firmware file you choose is correct.

Step 3

If you chose the wrong update firmware file, then you will see the following error message. If you want to choose again the correct firmware file, you need to enter again the 192.168.0.1 in the address bar but not just refresh this page.

Upgrade Failed

Failed to upgrade your Decos. You might have chosen the wrong file. Please enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and try again.

You will see this following page if firmware updated successfully:

Successful Upgrade

Your Decos have been successfully upgraded.

Please wait for Decos to reboot and close this webpage.

Step 4

When you see the M4 has a white LED solid on then you can just close the web-based interface and the whole firmware recovery is finished now. The Deco can be working fine again and you can repeat the whole process for your other Decos.

Here is a detailed explanation for the LED changing on the M4 during the whole process:

1. Press the RESET button and power on the Deco M4------>Solid yellow(last for about 5-6 sec), then blinking yellow.

2. Click on Upgrade on the web-based interface and you will see the progress bar is running------->flash white for once, then solid yellow again(last for 15sec), LED becoming red blinking(last for 3-5sec), solid yellow again.

3. Page says successfully upgrade------>Solid white.

Comment

I cannot connect to the Deco X60 under Method 2 with ip address 192.168.0.1. My X60 was used as an access point until it became a brick. Is there a way to find what the lasp ip address was before it became a brick?

The UBOOT method is not working as I cannot connect to the ipaddress of the Deco - 192.168.0.1 after I set my pc ipaddress to 192.168.0.2 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Has anyone tried this solution for sure?

I can't even ping to the 0.1 address from my iMac.

I would be glad to have someone walk me thru if I am making any silly mistake.

Thanks.

I've download firmware from official web and follow the steps for http uboot method and i always get this error:

Failed to upgrade your Decos. You might have chosen a wrong file. Please enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and try again.

I've tried different versions...and no way to flash firmware :(

Could you help me?

upload
    upload