Archer C900 Router Suddenly Much Slower than Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-07 15:51:48
Model: Archer C900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1

I have an Archer C900 set up as a router from my ISP modem. I also have an older Apple Airport Extreme attached via Cat6 cable used as an access point. I have the AP and a TV hardwired to the Archer, and another TV hardwired to the Airport through Cat6 cables. Everything was working great for weeks, then suddenly I am getting much slower speeds on the router, including the devices hardwired. I am getting about 40mbps on the 2.4 ghz network both via ehternet and wifi on the router, and about 240mbps via wifi on the Airport. In addition, the 5G network is almost useless, getting about 2mbps. My suspicion is that my son is running some sort of software to circumvent our time restraints that shut off his access at bedtime, as we set up the 5G guest network specifically for his devices and his gaming. He says we may have a ddoS, but I have those blockers enabled on the router. It just seems fishy that the 5G guest network is all he has access to, and the 5G network both for the regular wifi and the guest network seems to be all that is affected. In addition, we have about 10 wifi devices on the network at any time, but only 2 of those are phones. The rest are outlets and a printer, so I cant imagine it's bogging thenetwork down.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C900 Router Suddenly Much Slower than Access Point
2019-10-08 21:08:07

@LinkedInLawyer 

I would enable the access control (Advanced > Security > Access Control), select the whitelist so only devices added to that will be able to have a network connection (wired and wireless). Just include most of your devices, exclude most of everything else including your sons devices. If you notice the speed return it would validate your theory, but if the original symptom remains, then it could be something in the router.

Once you are done testing disable Access Control so all devices can connect like they did before.

Here is a FAQ on setting up Access Control: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1535/

To touch on the DDOS, the router does block it like you mentioned (Advanced > Security > Firewall & DDOS Protection), if any make sure the two options are also checked, "Ignore Ping Packet from WAN Port" and "Ignore Ping Packet from LAN Port".

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1023

Replies: 1

Related Articles