Archer A7 v5 drops internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-27 04:06:51
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Recently purchased the A7 and went through the quick setup on the app which worked flawlessly. I then had issues with my internet provider shortly after setting up the router but had it resolved but even though I had internet from the modem the router still did not have internet. Contacted support and they were absolutely horrific and did not help at all after on the phone with them for 2 hours when I realized what the issue was and fixed it but customer support said I was wrong but to call if I had any issues. Haven't had any issues in the 3 weeks since I purchased it until today. Since I am a grad student I mainly use my wifi for school, basic apple tv streaming and games. When I tried to plug in my xbox one or apple tv to my A7 router via ethernet the router would drop the internet connection and I had to power off both the modem and router to gain internet connection again without any issues. Is there anyway to fix this without having to call TP-Link customer support since they were not helpful the first time around?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Archer A7 v5 drops internet connection
2020-02-27 18:18:44
By chance are you using the same cable? Try a different cable.
Options
2020-02-27 19:20:44

@amg2024 

What was the first issue and what did you do to resolve it?

Follow the Ethernet cables behind the router, what is connecting to what?

Options
2020-02-27 19:23:57

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the reply! I'm using the Ethernet cable I've had for sometime to connect my Xbox or Apple TV but I'll try a new one.

Options
2020-02-27 19:26:38

@Tony 

Hi Tony thanks for the reply! The first issue was an issue with my internet provider where they had to reboot my modem from their end since I moved into a different unit in my apartment building. When I called them they just rebooted it and it was resolved but the router wasn't connecting to the internet which is why I called TP-Link but I rebooted both the router and modem and made sure it recognized the IP addresses. 

Options
2020-02-27 19:38:49

@Tony 

Forgot to answer your last question. One Ethernet cable was connected to the Ethernet port of my console and to my router in the Orange Ethernet ports. I tried the cable connected to my router and console as well as from my router to my Apple TV and the connection dropped no matter what device it was plugged into. 

Options
2020-03-02 16:57:22

@amg2024 

Here are a couple of things you can try:

1. Log into your modem to look at the event logs. If there are any critical 3 or critical 4 errors those pertain to the internet signal not being stable in which the ISP would need to review and fix. Another aspect to look at in the modem is that all the download and upload channels be locked, if not then your internet signal is not good which will cause random slowdowns or disconnects.

2. Log into the Archer A7, go to Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters, disable WMM, and NAT Boost. 

3. Manually update the router to the latest firmware.

Options
2020-03-19 09:16:28
Hi Tony, There were no critical 3 or 4. I tried disabling the WMM and the NAT Boost but that ended up slowing down my WiFi. I re-enabled them and the WiFi speeds went back to normal but this past week I’ve been experiencing very slow internet speeds. I pay for 200mbps+ but I’m getting 25-30 which is odd. I called my internet provider and they calm it wasn’t an issue on their end. I plugged the Ethernet from the modem to my laptop and was able to get the 200+ mbps but when I plugged the Ethernet back into the router I am having issues with the WiFi speeds. The WiFi begins to slow down after a few hours and consistently stay low at around 25-30mbps and won’t boost up past 100 unless I reboot the modem and the router.
Options
2020-03-19 21:10:21

@amg2024 

Sound like there may be an issue with the router. Reaching out to support to begin the replacement process may need to be done.

One other thing I can think of is to manually upload the latest firmware again to see if the software could be corrupted.

Options
2020-09-30 03:17:58
Hi, I'm having the same issues, but when I get slow wifi, I also check wired and have the same slowness. Any workaround on sight?
Options
2020-11-29 15:32:41

@Jhonnym85 , it seems this router is totally useless. So until TP-link provide a decent firmware update i suggest you move to another unit. (as it could take a while to resolve if it does at all).

Options