My devices do no switch between the main router and router-extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-14 13:32:12
Model: Archer A5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 00000002

Hismiley.
I've spent too much time researching this and decided to use this forum to get help.
I have two TP-Link routers.

The main router is – TP-Link Archer A5 and the second one that I am using in extender mode is TP-Link TL-WR940N.

I have connected these two using a quick setup guide in extender mode on TL-WR940N.
Everything looked good after the process was done but I faced a little inconvenience. 
Both routers have identical IPs, SSID names, WPA passwords, and they are located in different rooms.
When I am moving between the rooms the device (my phone) keeps being connected to the initial router and I have to turn wi-fi off/on to trigger re-connection to the closest router.

How can I make this process work automatically or am I doing something wrong?
I wanted to extend the wi-fi coverage using the second router as a signal extender...

Options
2 Reply
Re:My devices do no switch between the main router and router-extender
2020-04-14 16:16:16

@YARVOLK 

It is not that you are doing anything wrong, it is just what happens when you have two routers with the same network name. If you were looking for a network where you can roam and your device would move nodes seamleslly I recommend looking at our Deco Mesh devices. 

In your situation the two router can not dictate or tell the client device where to connect to, it all depends on the device itself. So like you mentioned your device will stay connected to a AP even when it is closer to another AP. You can possibly see if that client device is able to be adjusted to were it can switch based on network strength? Other then that your other option is to name both networks different and manually switch.

Options
Re:My devices do no switch between the main router and router-extender
2020-04-15 13:43:25

@Tony Thanks for your reply.

There are a couple of working modes, that a router can be working on. One of them is – "range extender mode".
I think I got a wrong understanding of this mode. I was expecting it to extend my current signal range, not duplicating it.
If that's how it should work, then it's fine. At least, I know now that is not what I wanted...

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3813

Replies: 2

Related Articles