Best budget router for many devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 19:36:40

I'm shopping for a new WiFi router for my home network.  I really don't care about speed that much because I think pretty much any router made in the last decade or so will be fast enough.  But, I have a lot of devices (40+) that may be connected.  I do have an old tp-wr841n (v9) that I can off load some devices to, but that will probably still leave the majority on whatever new router I buy.  And, of course, I am on a budget, so I'm hoping to spend under $100.  I can't tell from the specs I've been looking at on the TP-Link website if some models are better than others for a large number of devices, other than (I assume) higher end models will probably do better.  Is there any difference between less expensive models?

Thanks,

Jon

Options
5 Reply
Re:Best budget router for many devices
2020-05-19 21:40:02

@Jon2001 

If you are going to have a large number of devices, our Decos would be a good option but they do run more then $100. For a budget router, I would probably look at the Archer AX10.

Options
2020-05-20 01:23:16

@Tony, thanks.  Since writting the OP I've upped my budget a little.  I started reading more about Wifi 6, something I previously thought would only be in high end units.  Although I am having a lot of trouble really understanding some of the new abilities of AX it looks like it may help (maybe alot) with connecting many units even if they are older and don't have any AX (or even AC) specific features.  Specifically I was looking at Archer AX20 (who's price has suddenly skyrocketed on Amazon).

I also hadn't considered a mesh system, since I live in a one story 750 square foot house, not something normally suggested would benefit from a mesh system.  But I do see that these systems do specifically mention conecting a large number of clients.  Is it that each base unit would support X clients, so if I had 2X clients in my home I would have to have a 2 base unit mesh system to support them?

Can you shed any light as to which (AX20 vs something like a 2 pack M5) might work best?

Thanks,

Jon

Options
2020-05-20 13:59:03
From what I have read, I would go with a true mesh system as that allows for growth in the number of units which seem to grow with home automation. I am still okay with my Archer C8 but when I outgrow it, a Mesh system is the way I will go. It works seamlessly and will allow future growth. But that does hurt the budget a bit. I buy from companies that have a good return policy and make sure it fits my needs during the return period. @Tony may have other ideas that may be more cost effective.
Options
2020-05-20 21:33:37

@Jon2001 

You are right about the AX in that having clients that aren't AX compatible means you will have an AC router. 

A single Deco node can give up to 64 clients which you can just get one Deco node which goes four about $90 on Amazon, I think.

I think the X20 for your environment would be kind of overkill. I would probably give the Deco a try, but like @ArcherC8 said make sure you can return it or know how long you have to return it should you not be satisfied with it.

Options
2020-05-20 23:45:08 - last edited 2020-05-20 23:46:31

@Tony, @ArcherC8 

Thanks for you help.   I think going with a mesh 'system' (even if it is only one unit) makes sense if it can handle 60 clients to start with.  I currently have somewhere around 40 connected to an old tl-wr841n (v9), and it almost melted down.  This makes me curious why a single mesh unit can handle 60 units if that would be hard for a non-mesh (but current model) system.

Now all I have to do is figure out what the different lines of Deco are (M, P, S, W, etc) :-).

Thanks,

Jon 

Options