AX11000 - 5G1 issue using Smart Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-08 21:46:56 - last edited 2020-06-08 21:48:23
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Having an issue with the AX11000 when using the Smart Connect feature. Currently have around 40 devices, mixed between 2G and 5G. When I switch the router over to Smart Connect, all the devices connect to 2G and 5G, but nothing will use the 5G1 band. The only way to get devices to connect to the second 5G band is to disable Smart Connect and connect deviced manually. Any fix for this?

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX11000 - 5G1 issue using Smart Connect
2020-06-09 18:59:41

@rtw07 

When enabling the smart connect the router has total control, there currently is not a way to override it.

If you use a Wi-Fi analyzer do you see the 5GH-2 network when smart connect is enabled?

Options
2020-09-06 19:43:52

@Tony i have the same issue with the same router i just bought. latest firmware in pic. my 2 TV's connect to 2.4ghz and they are 5g capable. there should be a way to force what type of band to use either by changing the icons or another field. 

Options
2020-09-06 20:03:16

@rtw07 

There is, TURN OFF Smart Connect and manually connect to the desired band (as they have different SSID's).

Options
2020-09-06 20:28:32
I would suspect that the extra band is reserved by Smat Connect for AC and AX devices so they would have a priority network. Be interesting if someone could verify. Also looking at the specification page's WiFi Reception Sensitivity, it does not show 'N' on the two 5GHz bands or at least it is not listed. https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax11000/#specifications
Options
2020-09-06 21:08:00

@ArcherC8 

ArcherC8 wrote

I would suspect that the extra band is reserved by Smat Connect for AC and AX devices so they would have a priority network. Be interesting if someone could verify.

The above screen capture is a partial. It does show 5 devices on the 5-1 band though. Don't know how many on the 2.4Ghz though.

Why none on the 5-2 is puzzling to say the least, unless it isn't shown as it shows on the next sroll down?

What is also not known is what each of those devices are capable of?

I believe that TP-Links Smart Connect does do 'load balancing' so you'd expect even distribution of devices over the 3 bands, assuming that is possible with the mix of devices and what time and state of the SSID connections at time of trying to connect.

Smart Connect isn't for everyone. If you know  how to manage your devices, don't use Smart Connect. At times it can get you into a situation you wouldn't want to be in. Especially when it starts mixing 802.11 speed devices on the same band.

Some links to look at, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2595/

Here is sort of explains more, it has to do with 'effeciency', and what I think it means is where the device is, what is the best band to connect to. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands are not the same 'power' at distance which might put a device on the band you wouldn't want it on.

This one is interesting, https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/193

--------------------------

Smart Connect relies on an advanced algorithm that not only automatically determines which band is best for each device, but also constantly monitors the overall status of frequency resource. If a client is not busy, the Smart Connect reassigns it to ensure other clients can occupy more bandwidth on that band.

--------------------------

If true, then they have implemented DYNAMIC Load Leveling as well.  Any device could land on any band possibly?

This link also says it is doing Dynamic Load Leveling, https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/

So depending when you look at the connections, they could be different?

Still, the best way, assign the devices you want to which band you want manually.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2274

Replies: 5

Related Articles