M5 Node Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M5 Node Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M5 Node Speed
M5 Node Speed
2020-07-20 17:00:23
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Question on node speed.

I recently setup my 2-pack M5 Decos in our 2-story 2000 sq. ft. square footprint house.  The main Deco is on the first floor wired via ethernet.  The second Deco (node) is on the second floor on the opposite side of the house operating wirelessly.

When standing right beside of the main Deco and running a speed test on my phone, I get around 300 down and 350 up - which is great.  However, when standing right beside the second Deco (node) and running a speed test on the same phone, I only get around 30 down and 30 up. 

Is this normal?  This is my first experience with mesh networks and I was expecting much higher speeds in areas around the second Deco (node).

Options
1 Reply
Re:M5 Node Speed
2020-07-21 22:25:21

@Tyler76 

As you go above a floor that will degrade the signal, and going further will weaken the signal. 

What I would do is first start moving them closer together or maybe move the second node to the middle of the floor rather than at the end, even placing it above to test the speeds.

When doing the speed tests, make sure you are connecting to the second node and not the first node. If you open the Deco app, tap on the globe icon, then on the respective Deco to see what is connected to it.

If you are looking for 300 Mbps, your best bet would be to wire the first Deco to the second Deco to then get the Ethernet backhaul. If you will be working off of the wireless signal that works off of what is getting in the way. In that case, having the least amount of obstacles will give the best chance at a better signal and speed.

What may also help is introducing another node and having something like a L setup:

Options