Deco M9Plus Unreliable WiFi Connections (SOLVED!!!)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-12 14:55:24 - last edited 2020-09-12 14:57:43
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 6563

Hi!

I just wanted to share the solution to this frustrating issue in case someone else experiences the same thing.  

I bought this 3-pack mesh network Deco M9Plus at Costco a couple months ago.  It worked pretty well, but my kids started complaining about glitches when they were playing games and doing their distance learning.  I checked the firmware on the routers and the Decom mobile app said that they were up to date.  I pinged the router (192.168.68.1) and could see a long delay every few seconds of 3000ms or so.  The problem only showed up for WiFi connections... not for wired.  For a few days, I could not figure out what the heck was causing it!

Eventually, I chatted with someone at tp-link and they informed me that my firmware was NOT up to date.  The problem was that my firmware was so old that it couldn't detect the newest firmware.  I was thinking it was the latest firmware for my particular version of the Deco M9 Plus.  What would have saved me time and trouble is a simple message in the Deco mobile app that said, "Firmware too old... update with downloadable tool" or something like that.  Instead, it just said "Firmware already up to date" or similar.

Anyhow, once I downloaded the newer firmware and updated with the tool on my Windows 10 machine, everything is working perfectly.  

I hope this helps someone else.  And I hope it helps tp-link to make a change to lessen frustration for other customers.

Thanks,

Brad O.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 513

Replies: 0

Related Articles