High Ping spike, disconnections & packet loss problem while on meeting / online classes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

High Ping spike, disconnections & packet loss problem while on meeting / online classes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 13:28:36 - last edited 2020-10-04 18:06:02
Model: TL-WR820N  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Build 190905 Rel.42436n

Facing huge network latency (upwards of 3000 ms) & packet loss (request time outs) when on online meetings OR online classes. Would appreciate if any help is available.

See the attached pic.

I have very basic use case & setup:

1. Online meetings/classes using Google Meet / Microsoft Teams on "Windows 10" laptop / Android table. Bandwidth need for these is not much.

2. Max 3 such simultaneously connected devices. All devices are in close vicinity of router & getting good signal strength.

3. Internet connection type: Fiber & bandwidth ~100 mbps.

Observations:

1. Above setup works perfectly fine on my mobile phone hotspot which has much lesser bandwidth than my FTH internet connection.

2. Wired connection to router works perfectly fine.

Troubleshooting tried so far:

1) Firmware Updated

2) Multiple Channels are tried, including the channel on which my mobile hotspot works.

4) Global DNS setup

5) Hard reset and Reconfiguration

6) MTU Size has been altered

7) Lastly we even replaced the router from TPlink Service Center & repeated the above steps with the replaced router as well but the problem seems to have worsened now with refurbished/replacement router.

TP link support folks are ignoring my mails, overall really bad experience. Not sure why TP-Link is not able to solve this basic use-case.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ping spike & packet loss problem while on meeting / online classes
2020-09-29 20:33:05

@Nikusoft 

If you continue to see the same issue with a different router you may need to look at your network since the issue doesn't follow the router.

The router you have is not sold in the US region so if you contacted US support that may be why the delay. I would recommend reaching out to our global support here: link

Options
2020-10-02 06:16:39

@Tony  thanks for your reply.....

Couple of things.....

1. I am not sure if my network has any problems. Because it's very simple - just the router & max 3 Win-10 laptops connected to the router. Issue is easily reproducible.

If you can provide any specific thing to check for network it will be very helpful.

Like I also mentioned, my mobile hotspot works fine for same usage of online classes/meetings, issue is only with router.

Real time upload + download usage like online meetings/classes cause the issue. Perhaps it's similar to playing light game.

Also please note, since it's not real time, issue is not seen while watching HD videos, since it's more of data download.

2. I reached out to TP-Link india support only & that too couple of specific mail ids in addition to RMA + Support mail id.

Options
2020-10-02 12:26:34
One test you can do is to run speed tests and then bypass the router and connect a PC direct to the modem (be sure to power cycle when making changes) and test your speed. Also like Tony said, this is a US based forum and the other forum may have others who have encountered this issue. See https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/32 (note the en instead of us in the link)
Options
2020-10-03 13:23:34 - last edited 2020-10-04 18:05:03

@ArcherC8 Thanks, I will check out the link you gave.

Wanted to highlight that, when I work with LAN cable connected with router, ping values in same setup are much consistent & lower. (generally 1ms or less & max 50 ms).

I've tested with 2 laptops on LAN & 1 on WAN - with folks on LAN facing no issues, but the poor guy on WAN facing ping spikes & disconnections.

I've done the speed test directly with modem & it works fine.

In general the issue is not about internet bandwidth/speed, I am not doing intensive gaming, rather my use-case is about online meeting & classes which are not bandwidth intensive.

I've observed the bandwidth needed for such meeting is < 200 Kbps, where as my fiber connection supports speed up to 100 Mbps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1110

Replies: 4

Related Articles