Open source firmware for C50v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-24 00:52:33
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest, as of November 2020

Unlike the other versions of the C50, v2 is built on a Qualcomm Atheros chipset, and does not seem to have any other officially supported alternate firmwares, e.g. DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato.  Has anyone developed a homebrew solution that might allow greater capabilities out of this router?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Open source firmware for C50v2
2020-11-24 13:32:30
There is no officially supported alternate firmware for TP Link routers as the only supported firmware is the firmware that comes from TP Link. There are other companies that install third party firmware on many brands and models of routers and market them. See https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c50/#Firmware for TP Link's position on third party firmware. Asking for someone's hack would be an extreme security risk (what better way to gain access to someones entire network) and could brick your router. You could use that open source code link and code your own.
Options
2020-11-24 17:01:05 - last edited 2020-11-24 17:02:11

Not very helpful @ArcherC8  If this is the wrong forum to ask I will go to reddit.  But as with my other post upon which you commented, I am being very specific.  The C50's that are on a MediaTek chipset have alternate (unofficial) firmwares available, but V2 does not, or rather I could not find one.

Options
2020-11-24 17:54:17
You asked for "officially supported alternate firmware" which there is none. The point I was making. Is there other unsupported firmware available? Is it safe? Can it brick you router? Does it have all the features you want and need? I know for a fact that DD-WRT has been hacked in the past which is one of the more popular ones and users have bricked their routers installing unsupported software. Points I was trying to make. Maybe you know all this and willing to take the risk. Others who read these posts may not.
Options
2020-11-24 18:23:15

@ArcherC8 Point taken.  I should have been more clear.  Since I have not found any community-supported open-source alternatives to the official OEM version, I am willing to consider those more on the user-beware bleeding edge, and OK taking that risk.

Should anyone know of alternatives, feel free to PM me, if you are uncomfortable posting on this thread.  Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2151

Replies: 4

Related Articles