Duel band router 1 signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-04 19:41:28

I have tried out some of the deco systems and I really like how they mix the 2 bands together and brodcast just 1 signal. It that way you don't have to change from 2.5 GHz to 5 GHz.

Are there any other traditional routers out there that do this?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Duel band router 1 signal
2021-05-04 20:48:47

pvkid wrote

Are there any other traditional routers out there that do this?

@pvkid 

I assume you mean only one SSID and Passphrase tor both bands and the router 'decides' where to connect the device?

If so, this is called SMART CONNECT, and all Dual band and Tri-band routers usually have this feature.

On this link, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2595/ you'll find some details and the pulldown for the routers that have this feature.

More on Smart Connect, https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/ but I personally do not use it. For some who do not want to 'manage' device connection, great, but it is not usually optimized for performance as much as taking the 'guess work' out of connecting a device.

Options
2021-05-08 00:37:29

I am looking at the AC1750 on Amazon and I do not see anything about smart connect, donyou know if the 170 has it.

Options
2021-05-08 14:11:52

@pvkid 

Please look at the first link I posted. The pulldown lists the routers that have it. AC1750 is the SPEED of wireless devices on the combined bands. It is NOT the model number. Many TP-Link routers have that speed, C7, A7, D7, etc.

The 'list' can't be complete either, even with a recent date:

====================

Archer C5400 , Archer AX55 , Archer AX4200 , Archer AX75 , Archer AX4400 , Archer AX10 , Archer AX73 , Archer AX51 , Archer AX96 , Archer A10 , Archer AX4800 , Archer A2600 Pro , Archer A6 , Archer C3150 , Archer A7 , Archer AX50 , Archer AX72 , Archer C6 , Archer C7( V5 ) , Archer GX90 , Archer AX90 , Archer AX6000 , Archer C5400X , Archer A9 , Archer AX68 , Archer C2300 , Archer AX5300 , Archer AX23 , Archer AX20 , Archer C4000 , Archer AX21 , Archer AX10/A , Archer C64 , Archer A10 Pro , Archer AX1800 , Archer AX1500 , Archer AX60 , Archer AX11000 , Archer AX3200 , Archer AX3000 , Archer AX206

====================

I have an Archer A20 (not AX20) and it is NOT on the list. Note the C7 also is the only one that lists the f/w version.

Google the router you are looking at for Smart Connect if unsure.

As far as I'm concerned, Smart Connect 'is not' and I'd rather handle SSID connection by myself.

Options
2021-05-09 12:04:34

@6mp 

I agree with @IrvSp  that smart connect has it place but I also prefer to control my network.

If you do get a router with Smart Connect, as far as I am aware, they all allow you to turn if off if you do not like it.

You can set up any two band router using the same SSID and password although I would not. Not sure what extra benefit you get with Smart Connect. The issue is it is the device most times determine what band it uses. Does it use the fastest band (5GHz), the one with the strongest signal which may be the 2.4GHz as it delivers the signal further, some determined order in the device, or the last one used. And each device may do it differently. If your device is portable such as a laptop, if you move around, the device may need to switch bands. I prefer to control some devices so they are always on a specific band. Slow devices on the 2.4 and the ones I want speed on the 5 GHz band.

If it were me and I was looking for a new router, had connection issues do to size of my home, and wanted to have the same SSID, I would be looking at the Mesh routers that were designed to do that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 479

Replies: 4

Related Articles