Archer AX50 Overheating Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-02 23:36:20 - last edited 2021-06-06 13:16:27
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: current download 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(5553)

I'm having similar problems that other customers have reported with a new AX50 router.  The device is running very hot, apparently due to the Intel processor and the lack of adequate ventilation within the router's plastic casing.  The device fails to function reliably -- e.g. periodically reboots, and erratic performance including loss of internet access -- as a direct result of overheating issues.  The only way to make the device usable again, when this happens, is to turn it off and wait for it to cool (~15-20 minutes).

This appears to be a known design flaw, and therefore I'm requesting guidance from TP-Link -- how do you intend to resolve this issue for customers who purchased this device? Is there a solution that requires modification to the device? Or, will you provide a replacement Wi-Fi 6 device of equal/similar value that will not overheat?

Note, I have reached out to Jeff Barney, Chief Operating Officer of TP-Link, North America at jeff.barney@tp-link.com -- he has not responded to my request, so far.

Therefore, I'm asking for the TP-Link Customer Service manager to respond to this issue with guidance ASAP. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

David H. Deans

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: Archer AX50 Overheating Issue-Solution
2021-06-04 18:35:35 - last edited 2021-06-06 13:16:27

@Carl so, if I understand the response from the System Engineering Team in China, even though they acknowledge numerous customers are reporting similar performance issues that are related to the AX50 overheating, they believe the reported operational failures of these devices is due to 'individual production defects' that can be resolved with a replacement unit -- meaning, they believe it's not an inherent product design problem. Please verify, or clarify, is this their position? Thanking you in advance.

That said, I tried to register my product via your online system. Note, it would not accept the serial number printed on the device, so I photographed the product label, and attached an image of Amazon proof of purchase, and submitted it for your action. Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with ways to release the excess heat from my AX50 unit.

Based on the feedback from other inventive customers, I've used the slot of a wooden Bagel Cutting Block as a method to hold the AX50 in an upright position (to allow better unrestricted heat dissipation). After 24 hours in this upright position, I've already noticed a significant reduction on the surface of the plastic casing. See the photos below for example.

Side view of the AX50 in the upright position (underside of the casing has more ventilation gaps; now heat from Intel chip is not trapped inside) 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 Overheating Issue
2021-06-03 16:59:16

@David_H_Deans 

I am the local Technical Support Supervisor for TP-Link USA.  There is not manager other than me locally.  Jeff did reach out to me this morning about your post and correspondences to him.  I am not aware of any knowing overheating issue.  I am currently engaged with our QA team to see if they are and what if any solutions have been determined if they are.  Also so you know when dealing with issues regarding products, whether they are known or not, should be directed to support directly.  This ensure the most timely and accurate responses available.  For the US region support can be reached through one of these methods:  

I will update this post once my QA team has responded.  You may also email me directly at ussupportteam@tp-link.com for any additional questions or concerns.  

Options
Re:Archer AX50 Overheating Issue
2021-06-03 18:25:51

@David_H_Deans 

My QA team did get back to me.  The response was that like me they are unaware of any "known" issues regarding heat or heat distribution on the Archer AX50.  I am aware of of another thread that users are specifically mentioning a concern and how they are resolving the concern with cooling plates under the router. As such what my next action will be is to shoot your thread and concern directly to product engineering team at our head office in China.  I will ask them if they have any known issues regarding this concern and if not then what we would need to do is start an RMA process and get your specific unit back for local testing.  I should have an update sometime tomorrow as the Engineering team does work opposite of us due to the timezone difference. 

Options
Re: Archer AX50 Overheating Issue
2021-06-03 23:10:00 - last edited 2021-06-04 22:04:18

@Carl Thank you for your response to my request.

FYI, I have researched this issue and have found reports of the AX50 overheating issue dating back to Jan 14, 2020 -- then again several times after on this Community site.

Also, there is the thread on Reddit dated November 28, 2020, and there is a customer review on Amazon.com dated July 4, 2020. There are other reports on other sites, but not to belabor my point I won't list all the mentions of the AX50 overheating issue here. Simply do your own keyword search on Google "archer AX50 overheating"

That's why I had assumed this is, given all the online feedback from customers, a 'known' design problem awaiting a proper resolution from TP-Link. To quote a Reddit user:

"Hi. I want to buy this router, but all reviews say it kind of runs hot, and tp-link suggested buying a fan for it in some support forum until they push a firmware update, is that update here. Could I just add some cheap cooling pad?"

Enough said. Thank you for your consideration, Carl.

Options
Re: Archer AX50 Overheating Issue
2021-06-04 16:46:24

@David_H_Deans 

Hello David, yes I do know that customer's have vocalized some concerns with the model on various review sites.  I even have seen a community thread where the users have shown picutres of using cooling plates with the product.  I was not able to find any posts indicating that there is an officially known issue or a TP-Link representive responding as such.  

The system engineering team did respond and stated that while due the chipset the router runs warmer than other units it is still within tollerance levels and should not be creating any issues in performace or usablity.  So what I would need to do then is to initiate a replacement so that we can get your unit in local testing.  To start this process I would need you to register the product here:  Once registered let me know so I can approve the RMA and provide you with further instructions. 

Options
Re: Archer AX50 Overheating Issue-Solution
2021-06-04 18:35:35 - last edited 2021-06-06 13:16:27

@Carl so, if I understand the response from the System Engineering Team in China, even though they acknowledge numerous customers are reporting similar performance issues that are related to the AX50 overheating, they believe the reported operational failures of these devices is due to 'individual production defects' that can be resolved with a replacement unit -- meaning, they believe it's not an inherent product design problem. Please verify, or clarify, is this their position? Thanking you in advance.

That said, I tried to register my product via your online system. Note, it would not accept the serial number printed on the device, so I photographed the product label, and attached an image of Amazon proof of purchase, and submitted it for your action. Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with ways to release the excess heat from my AX50 unit.

Based on the feedback from other inventive customers, I've used the slot of a wooden Bagel Cutting Block as a method to hold the AX50 in an upright position (to allow better unrestricted heat dissipation). After 24 hours in this upright position, I've already noticed a significant reduction on the surface of the plastic casing. See the photos below for example.

Side view of the AX50 in the upright position (underside of the casing has more ventilation gaps; now heat from Intel chip is not trapped inside) 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7981

Replies: 5

Related Articles