Can an Archer AX21 be used as a WAP (access point)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-25 06:52:40 - last edited 2022-07-25 08:59:46

Is  Archer AX21 even a current supported product?  It's not listed in the Model drop-down menu, here on the "New Thread" page.

I need a WAP and bought this router without doing much research.  Every other wifi router I've worked with had an AP mode, so I guess I assumed any wifi router could be used as a WAP.

Do I need to return it an buy a different device?  What would you suggest in that case?

I want to have two WAPs on the same network, plugged into the same switch.  This is just to give more coverage from the front of the house to the back.  I found a support article "How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point" here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1384/

Followed the instructions, but it didn't work.

I tried chat with a support agent, but they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can an Archer AX21 be used as a WAP (access point)?-Solution
2022-07-25 08:44:09 - last edited 2022-07-25 08:59:46

OK, fixed.  I just had to upgrade the firmware, then there was an Operation Mode option that wasn't there before.

That let me set it to AP mode, and it took care of everything else for me, like turning off the built-in DHCP server, and setting LAN and WAN interfaces to the same network (not routed).

It's just a shame that tech support didn't know that!

Anyway, problem solved.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Can an Archer AX21 be used as a WAP (access point)?-Solution
2022-07-25 08:44:09 - last edited 2022-07-25 08:59:46

OK, fixed.  I just had to upgrade the firmware, then there was an Operation Mode option that wasn't there before.

That let me set it to AP mode, and it took care of everything else for me, like turning off the built-in DHCP server, and setting LAN and WAN interfaces to the same network (not routed).

It's just a shame that tech support didn't know that!

Anyway, problem solved.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2537

Replies: 1

Related Articles