Best Set-Up for a 3-Story Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-08 20:16:15
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have the Deco AXE5300, 3-pack on order from Cosco and I live in a 3-story, 1500 sq ft townhome. My Spectrum cabel Internet connection and modem are located in a third floor bedroom that I use as my office.  I plan to connect the main Deco to my modem and place Deco 2 on the second floor and Deco 3 on the first floor.

Of course the best communication between the Deco units in this sitution would be in a daisy-chain fasion, where Deco 3 could communicate directly with Deco 2 and Deco 2 with the main Deco, as opposed to Deco 2 and 3 only able to communicate with the main Deco.

I have read that the Deco Mesh system cannot communicate in a daisy-chain fasion, but I have also seen indications where it can, on this forum.  Can anyone set me straight and answer this quistion for me?

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Best Set-Up for a 3-Story Home
2022-11-09 18:57:54

@hwd3,

The Decos have no problem operating in a Daisy Chain Layout, its just not recommended to create a network with one long train of nodes. This is because every wireless node will add an additional 'hop' into the network that can potentially introduce latency or potential stability issues to your network.

I believe that the official recommendation is to not have more than three hops in a single chain, so you should have no real issues or noticeable differences in your connection quality;however, if you are able to run a cable to either the second or third node, your network will almost be guaranteed to perform better. This would also make it so that your network would be less susceptible to interference and other factors.

Options
2022-11-09 19:20:31

@Riley_S 

Riley_S wrote

@hwd3,

The Decos have no problem operating in a Daisy Chain Layout, its just not recommended to create a network with one long train of nodes. This is because every wireless node will add an additional 'hop' into the network that can potentially introduce latency or potential stability issues to your network.

I believe that the official recommendation is to not have more than three hops in a single chain, so you should have no real issues or noticeable differences in your connection quality;however, if you are able to run a cable to either the second or third node, your network will almost be guaranteed to perform better. This would also make it so that your network would be less susceptible to interference and other factors.

Thanks for your reply. 

If I understand your reply, I should configure my set-up, with one Deco node on each floor, including the main unit connected to the modem, as a daisy chain, since I would only have 2 'hops.' (Deco 3 to Deco 2 to main Deco.). I really can't connect any of the the nodes with a cable.

How do I setup the system to first try a daisy chain configuration and then try a star configuration, to see which works best?  Which configuration will be default on initial setup?

Thanks again for you help!

Options
2022-11-09 23:32:17

@hwd3,

The Decos will be able to automatically determine what configuration is best when they are connected; as the device will run its own tests throughout the day and make any changes that are necessary. For instance, if a large appliance were to turn on and degrade the signal along one of the hops, the main deco unit will detect this and try to reconfigure the mesh network to provide the best connection and experience.

The engineering team has just begun adding the option to select the signal source for individual decos, but this has been dependent on the hardware and firmware of your decos. If the option has been added for your deco model you can find the signal selection option from  Deco App > Internet > Select the Satellite Deco > Signal Source

Otherwise, the Decos will work to find the best connection automatically as one of the key features of the deco line is the AI-powered mesh, which makes these adjustments on the fly. If you think there may be an issue with the connections between the devices, individual nodes will automatically rescan and connect to the best node when that node is rebooted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1948

Replies: 3

Related Articles