Switching modem connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 21:41:33
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

I currently have two units, one upstairs and one downstairs.  The upstairs one is the one connected to the modem.  I'm switching internet providers and will be running the new modem to the downstairs unit and disconnecting the old modem from the upstairs unit, effectively making the downstairs my main and the upstairs my secondary.  I hope that makes sense.  I'm thinking that there's nothing extra to do but to make the switch when the new service is installed.  I'm assuming this will automatically recognize that the signal is now coming into the downstairs unit and adjust whatever needs adjusting.  Am i missing anything that would need to be done before or during the switch over?  Thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Switching modem connection
2022-12-30 22:34:22

@Slingshot75 

You can do one of two things.  

Option 1:  swap the location of the two units.  

Option 2:  Log into the Deco app Tap on the network map and then the unit that is downstairs.  Finally mark it the main unit.

After doing one of the two you will just need to worry about the WAN/Internet being configured for the new ISP's service.  Most ISPs in the US are now dynamic so that shouldn't be a big concern.  I would say that if your ISP is providing you the modem, make sure they do not give you a gateway.  This is a modem/router combo device and would create a double NAT situation with the Deco.  You want to avoid that if possible.  If they say you have to use a Gateway, like when using Verizon Fios and having Fios TV service too, then you may be required to put the Deco in AP mode.  Note doing this will disable all of the router functions of the Deco and just regulate you to the Wireless LAN features.

Options
2022-12-30 22:44:30

@Carl Thanks for the response.  I'm switching to fiber which, according to the website, uses a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) instead of a modem.  I haven't heard of any issues from friends who have changed over but i may still ask the provider (Greenlight Networks.) 

Options
2023-01-03 23:41:02

@Slingshot75 

That is what I am using right now.  As long as your ONT is not a multi-port OLT you should be fine.  The Multi-port OLTs are generally Gateways and those could create concerns like Double NAT.  If you are just getting an ONT then you should be good to go.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 3

Related Articles