Reserved Addresses for connected devices: Pros and Cons?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-14 22:54:41 - last edited 2023-02-14 22:56:08
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hope I am puting this in the right place.

I have some of the more important devices in my network set up with reserved addresses. 

I am aware of most of the benefist of using reserved addresses, but is there any downside to giving all of my devices reserved addresses?

Thanks,

Dave

Deco XE75 PRO x 3
Options
4 Reply
Re:Reserved Addresses for connected devices: Pros and Cons?
2023-02-15 00:49:46

@deebeeeff 

No, from a routing perspective, there is no real downside.  The only thing you might run into is when a client for example an iOS or Android device has a private address enabled.  This option breaks features in a router that are MAC address based.  If you plan to use Reserved addresses we would recommend disabling that private address feature  

Options
2023-02-15 00:56:19

@Carl 

Thanks for the reply.

I am feeling a little dense here. When you are saying private address, do you mean a static IP set by the device?

Thanks,

Dave

Deco XE75 PRO x 3
Options
2023-02-15 01:08:17

@deebeeeff 

So every device has a MAC address, which stands for media access control address.  A shorthand of this is it can sometimes be called Physical Address or in iOS its called Wi-Fi Address.  A little over a year ago Apple and Android added an option to make this address "private" or commonly known as "spoofed"  This feature works similarly to how a VPN masks your identity.  This feature masks the identity of your device.  The problem is that the feature has consequences to network features, like parental controls, and reserved addresses that rely on this address to function.  Each time these devices reconnect to the network, this spoofed address can change making features like Parental Conrols and Address reservations impossible to use.  

I know that was long but did it help?

Options
2023-02-15 01:19:16

@Carl 

Yeah, that makes sense. 

I appreciate the info.

I'll probably just leave the reserved addresses alone except for the ones I have already done.

Thanks,

Dave

Deco XE75 PRO x 3
Options