Apple devices can't connect to 2.4GHz net - Win 10 computer and other devices can

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Apple devices can't connect to 2.4GHz net - Win 10 computer and other devices can

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 18:35:18
Tags: #Apple
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20221126 rel.2425(5553)

I have an Apple iPhone SE (previous version) and an Apple iPad (6th gen), both iOS 16.3.1. Neither can connect to either Guest or Main 2.4GHz network. My Win 10 desktop computer can connect to the 2.4GHz networks, so this isn't the problem where the 2.4GHz net seems to randomly disappear that I've seen in these forums. My Roku also connects easily to the 2.4GHz network. The Apple devices both take the password, process for a while, then come back with "unable to join network." The Apples (as well as the desktop) can easily connect to the 5 GHz network at max speed. The desktop works fine over Ethernet, too.

What are the magical settings needed to get my Apple devices to connect to the 2.4GHz networks? Might be in the router settings, might be in the Apple settings, or a combination of both....

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Apple devices can't connect to 2.4GHz net - Win 10 computer and other devices can
2023-03-02 18:42:02

@DucksoupSD 

I haven't seen this in a while and to be honest, I thought Apple finally fixed this.  It used to be that Apple devices did not like to connect to the lower channels and you needed to set 2.4GHz to channel 11 to get them to connect to it.  That could be what is going on here.  If not let us know, but I would start there and change the channel for 2.4GHz to 11.  

Options
Re:Apple devices can't connect to 2.4GHz net - Win 10 computer and other devices can
2023-03-03 07:11:28

@Carl - thanks for replying. I finally got some time today and discovered an Apple doc about how to set up a router for their stuff. I discovered that Apple devices REALLY don't like the Access Control feature now (they have a long, questionable explanation based on today's hackers as to why they're right and router mfg's should never have bothered to put it in anyway). I had it working fine for several months, but I touched something (not sure what the trigger was) and it totally broke for everything Apple. After I turned off Access Control, they worked fine. Maybe if I wasted a lot more time, I could recreate the usable Access Control setup, but for now, I turned it off (maybe it's a new security "feature" of iOS 16.3.1?).

The Apple doc wasn't perfect, however, because they claimed that they wanted the same SSID for all the channels and that ISN'T true. If you do that, Apple only logs into the 2.4GHz band and you never get the 5 GHz band, even with different passwords (logging in with same SSID but different password for the band you want). For Apple devices to use both bands, you need unique names for the two bands and then login to the band you want to use.

I got into all of this because my modem gagged and after zero help from Cox Cable, I did a hard reset on the modem (pressed the modem reset button with a paper clip, not just pull the power cable and restore it) and was able to get back online, at least with my desktop.

Thanks again for your help...

Options
2023-03-03 15:48:52

@DucksoupSD 

I didn't know about the whole ACL thing so thanks for that, It does align with a an update Apple did recently which allows a user to spoof their MAC address.  While it's true that the feature does help protect the identity of the device online, it also breaks any router feature that uses the MAC address to identify the device, like ACLs, Reserved DHCP addresses, and Parental Controls.  

For using Apple devices on a unified SSID they will work.  I myself have one of our Deco X50-POEs and my work Mac as well as iPhones and iPads all connect with no problem.  The router in this case does of course decide the band and channel assignments but I haven't not yet had any issues.  Just wanted to let you know that you can use Apple on a unified network without fear of it not working. 

Options
2023-03-04 00:19:42

@Carl my Apples do work on a unified network, but only in the 2.4 GHz band for me. There is probably a magical setting somewhere that could get mine to work on both bands, defaulting to the highest speed, but I'm not willing to spend anymore time on them when the problem is already solved - two names vs one. Looking at the local WiFi nets, I'm sure I'm last on the hacker's list of easy targets (they have no passwords, default net names, etc).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1464

Replies: 4

Tags

Apple
Related Articles