Guest Network does not work if DHCP is turned off on the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-23 21:59:11
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20221208 rel.45145(5553)

I have an AX6000 and it is up to date on its firmware (by the way thank you for the last update the interface and the changes are great)

Now with that said, I have a new issue as I am tighting security on my private network. I tied the AX6000 to work with Amazon Alexa so I can turn off and on the Guest Network. However I discovered the guest network (when someone connects to it) is not assigning an IP address and any devices on it can not get to the internet.

The reason this is happening is that I have a NAS server and my DHCP is on that server instead of using the Archer AX6000. 

Is their any way to make it so Guest Network does not need access to my local network (I want them to just get on the internet) with my current setup of the DHCP server being on a seperate device?

Current Setup in simplar terms

Archer AX6000

- Being used for WiFi and access to the internet, nothing else

NAS

- DHCP server

NOTE: Reason I am using the NAS for DHCP is main because the new Archer AX6000 interface does not allow you to sort items on the DHCP server list. You aslo can not give devices you are adding names directly on the DHCP screen. You have to go to the Client List and scroll through everything (as their is no sorting their either) and try and find the device you want to give a name.

I have about 80 devices on my private network which is why sorting is so important to me.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Guest Network does not work if DHCP is turned off on the router
2023-04-24 10:15:28

Hello @Lothos 

Are you saying those devices connected to the AX6000 Guest Network were able to connect to the internet before upgrading the AX6000 firmware to the latest version?

Is the NAS server connected to the AX6000 via a LAN cable? This scenario is not commonly used in a home network, we do see some users use the LAN Pihole server as the DNS server to block ads, but we don't see this scenario often to configure another LAN server as the DHCP server also. This will make the network more complicated.

When the DHCP server on the AX6000 is disabled or off, all the devices connected to the AX6000, main network and guest network, will need to talk to the NAS first to request IP addresses in order to get passed through the network. However, when the devices connect to the Guest Network and you're blocking the communication between the main and the guest, they cannot talk to the NAS server, thus they fail to access the internet.

To get the issue resolved, you need to enable the "Allow Guests to access my Local network" on the AX6000 web page under Advanced > Guest Network.

Or you can set the NAS server as the DNS server instead of the DHCP server, which will be more convenient to manage and access the internet.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-04-24 10:25:51

Hi  @Kevin_Z 

Will address your questions by paragraph

Paragraph 1 - No, I am not. I just started to try and use the Guest Network recently (after the firmware upgrade) because I noticed that I could easily turn it on and off by using the Amazon Alexa app. So I figured I could use this feature for when I have guests.

Paragraph 2 - Yes the NAS is connected via a LAN port to the AX6000. I started using the NAS instead of the AX6000 because I like to assign static IP's by MAC address. This enables me to identify each device on the network. I have those devices using IP range x.x.x.1 - x.x.x.200 I then assign DHCP to put any devices that do not get a static IP between ranges of 210 and above. This helps me immediately identify anything that I do not recognize. The AX6000 does this setup perfectly. The problem I have is that their are no sorting abilities and it makes it a nightmare to identify devices as I have over 90 of them on my network.

Paragraph 3 - Yes I know I have to give them access to my network. However, this defeats the purpose of a guest network because now they can see my server and any other devices on the network. This means that if their device is infected with malware or a virus that my network has potentially become compromised.

Paragraph 4 - I have the NAS as the DNS server as well. Not sure what you mean that I can manage the access.

NOTE: I am using Synology NAS with DSM 7

THank you for your reply

Options
2023-05-04 22:31:36

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, sorry about this but TP-Link Chat/Phone support is horrendous after being gas lighted by their Support in telling me that the issues I am describing are about the router breaking and that their Firmware does not break things it makes them better. (Being repeatedly told this over and over again)

I GAVE UP!

I purchased an ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000 to replace it

Seems like all my problems are gone using the ASUS router both the 2.4Ghz band dropping constantly and the DHCP not working with the guest network when DHCP is turned off at the router.

Another thread I had opened

Archer AX6000 V1 WiFi for 2.4Ghz keeps dropping with Firmware 20221208 - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)

My tickets

[TP-Link Support]-[TKID230419396] CHAT I.D :  17113671 
[TP-Link Support]-[TKID230442837] [Forum ID 605672]

I really did not want to buy another router but I was left with no choice, look at this one [TP-Link Support]-[TKID230419396] CHAT I.D :  17113671 

You will see them repeatedly gas light me and tell me what I am reporting is not true as if I was hallucinating

I will keep the TP-Link RE230 until it breaks since its such a small device but I do not believe I will ever purchase a TP-Link product again.

NOTE: I even gave them my personal contact information and THEY NEVER CALLED ME!

Options