Deco Firmware Updates Released to Additional Models - July 2023

2023-07-07 23:04:14 - last edited 2023-09-05 21:50:12

Hey Deco Users!

Over the last few weeks, we have seen a large number of models receive the 1.6.0 Firmware and Features, including Static Routes, IoT Networking, and Signal Preferences. Make sure to check for updates often, as more models are receiving the update each week and not all will be listed in these update posts. The models listed below are only the models listed as having received new features - additional updates were made available for stability and performance improvements.

If you have already received the features, continue checking for updates to your network as fixes and patches are being released each week.

Please Be Aware that Specific Features May Vary Between Hardware Versions, Please See the Linked Firmware Update Page for your product to get the most accurate list of features added to your hardware version.

The models listed below were previously updated to support some of the latest features. If you have one of the models listed below, check for an update to your Decos. If you do not see an update, check your firmware download page to see the latest update and features added.

Many models have received additional updates over the last few weeks, so make sure that you are using the latest version for the best experience.

Please See the Firmware Download Page for a List of Features Added for Your Model!

*Note: If there are other Deco models in the Mesh network, some features would no longer show up, such as Signal source and Connection Preference; while others only need the support on the main Deco, like VPN, Static Route, MTU, and smart DHCP.

As a reminder, our teams do not have any information regarding what models the firmware is being developed for and when we could potentially see a particular release. Please refrain from asking "When Will 'X' Model Receive the Feature?"

Options
41 Reply
Re:Deco Firmware Updates Released to Additional Models - July 2023
2023-07-11 05:20:22

@Riley_S  Thank you for this useful overview. I have updated the X90s and was thrilled to see that the long overdue X60, version 2s were also recently updated. However, when I checked the download sites it only shows the more than two year old firmware 1.5.1 being available for the X60, version 2. :-(

Options
2023-07-14 11:14:06

@Riley_S All of these added features and still no option to manually select wireless channel? I still don't understand why this isn't an option when so many other router offer this. 

Options
2023-07-18 03:25:53

@Riley_S I have a deco x50 outdoor and 3 deco x60 mesh satellites on the same network. All decos have been updated to the latest firmware. I have one deco x60 as the main router on the network but don't see the option to choose which satellite my devices can connect to. That option was available after I updated the x60s but disappeared when I added the x50 outdoor to the network. Since the x50 outdoor is supposed to have the option to choose which satellite my devices can connect to, how do I go about choosing the preferred satellite? 

Options
2023-07-18 03:41:47

@AppRyder 

I have a X50 POE network that had this option. The option went away when I added the X50 outdoor. However, the option is now back since I applied the X50 outdoor firmware that was just released within the past week or so ago. I know you said everything was up to date but maybe check what version the outdoor unit has. Mine started working when outdoor unit was upgraded to 1.2.1 build 20230607 Rel 65923

Options
2023-07-18 03:55:03

@Mfusa1 that's the same version that it shows I currently have for the x50 outdoor. I've rebooted all the deco units 2-3 times as well as just the x50 unit with no change. Should I remove the x50 outdoor and add it back? 

Options
2023-07-18 12:59:38

@AppRyder It certainly wouldn't hurt to remove the X50 Outdoor and see if everything stabilizes and the feature returns. You could then add it back in and see. You shouldn't have to do this and I didn't in my network (but I had all X50's and not X60's) but it might help. The mixing and matching of model types seems to cause some issues at times. According to the in-app priority chart, the X60 should be set as the main deco in your mixed environment which I'm sure is how you have things set up. 

I think TP-Link is struggling a bit lately with so many feature enhancements and trying to manage that with a much larger product line than they've had before. They seem to be rolling out features of HomeShield 3.0 (Norton) without rolling out the whole product and I just can't seem to get it to work (i.e. Safesearch). Support seems confused and telling me that I need to buy additional subscriptions, and click on things in the app, which don't even show up as options. 

If all else fails you can always open a support ticket and see if they can help. 

Options
2023-07-18 14:48:22

@Mfusa1 so I made a discovery this morning. I have my network separated by bands. I have my main network set up for the 5 ghz only and the guest network set up for the 2.4 ghz only. I did the separation so that I can connect my smart devices only to the 2.4 ghz side. I was using the IoT network as the 2.4ghz only before I added the x50. Since the x50 didn't have that capability at the time, I couldn't connect my smart devices close to that satellite because it didn't broadcast the IoT network. But looking through my devices this morning I discovered that anything connected to my main network has the option to choose connection but everything on the guest network does not. Any idea on how to fix that? 

Options
2023-07-18 15:38:17

@Riley_S I have 5GHz and 2.4 GHz enabled for my main network and the "connection preference" option shows up. I also have a guest network, with 2.4GHz only and, like you, the connection preference option does not show up. I believe this is by design and that tp-link does not support this feature on the guest network. Other posts (here and Reddit) seem to confirm others also have the same result.

Options
2023-07-19 15:37:45

@Mfusa1 that does appear to be the case. I moved a single smart device from the guest network to the IoT network and the option for preferred connection was there. So it looks like you are correct about it not being an option for the guest network. I guess if I decide that I really want to be able to use that feature I'll have to move all my smart devices back to the IoT network. Thank you for your time and help. 

Options
2023-07-19 18:10:46

@AppRyder,

Thanks for pointing this out, we did not know for sure if the guest network allowed the setting. I will see what I can do about forwarding the feedback that these features would be welcome addition to the Guest Network settings.

If I were to take a guess, this would likely be a result of the way that the network and device isolation policies are configured. The feature is also not as much a preference, as it is a requirement. If the chosen node or signal is unavailable, the device will not connect to the other nodes on the network. For using a network as a traditional Guest Network, this could cause problems for when guests move around your home.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11733

Replies: 41

Related Articles