Deco Firmware Updates Released to Additional Models - July 2023

Deco Firmware Updates Released to Additional Models - July 2023

41 Reply
Re:Deco Firmware Updates Released to Additional Models - July 2023
2023-08-17 21:26:17 - last edited 2023-08-17 21:26:54

@Riley_S I'm have so many connection issues with the latest firmware build for the M5. I frequently get dropped and I have to move closer to a satellite deco; connect fine and be stable. Then when I move to the main deco I lose connection. I was perfectly fine with the last firmware. How would I fix this? Can I downgrade firmware?

Options
2023-08-18 00:30:16

@archybrid,

What specific firmware and hardware version are you running, and if the Deco was up to date prior to this update?

With the last two updates, you received a large number of features meant to help keep your satellite nodes stable and to connect devices to the correct node. Besides using the signal source selection feature to make sure that your nodes are connected the way you want, I would try to disable the "Mesh Technology" for the problematic device. This feature has to do with the roaming between nodes, and may be the cause of the disconnects.

I would also make sure that your modem is still operating in bridge mode since this can actually cause a similar behavior if the Deco is creating a second wireless network and should be in AP mode.

Next try forgetting the wireless network on your devices, in case there is some setting that is conflicting or was changed in the firmware update.

Before looking at doing a manual firmware downgrade via the Web Interface, I would recommend troubleshooting with our teams, or even performing a factory reset so that the latest features can still be taken advantage of.

Options
2023-08-19 08:09:01

@Riley_S 

when is the Deco X20 v3 firmware going to be updated?

Options
2023-08-21 15:53:33

@Riley_S I'm afraid that Tp-link does not release this update for the new DECO S7. Even this been a new release, it lacks this new features.

Options
2023-08-26 05:05:10

@Riley_S 

Still waiting for firmware update to Deco X20 v3 to allow selection of signal source. When is this likely to be provided?

Options
2023-08-28 17:32:54

@Kas56,

The firmware actually just released last week, please make sure that you check for updates to your nodes. It may take a short while for the update to pushed to your network. If you are not able to see the update, you may first see if changing your DNS server will help - otherwise you may manually upgrade using the firmware available on your product's download page: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-x20/v3/#Firmware

Options
2023-08-29 13:01:52 - last edited 2023-08-29 13:03:59

@Riley_S regarding your below statement:

"As a reminder, our teams do not have any information regarding what models the firmware is being developed for and when we could potentially see a particular release. Please refrain from asking "When Will 'X' Model Receive the Feature?""

Then from whom we can ask and get answer to this specific question from TP-Link as an end-user who are wondering whether it will ever come to their hardware version.

This information should be available publicly so that we can plan and design our network. If it is not ever coming to my H/W version, then instead of checking the discussion boards everyday with hope and excitement, I can sell my existing non-supported products and buy new ones that support the functions that are needed in my network.

Please TP-Link, be more transparent to your customers who trusted you in the first place if you want to increase your customer loyalty and base.

Options
2023-08-29 18:39:47

@aytek,

Honestly, our team is the best source for this information - unless you have a direct line of communication to our engineers. We may always see what we can find regarding features and updates, but the warning is more so that we are not bombarded with questions - especially since there is no way for our team to provide concrete information on the releases and the updates are still rolling out from week to week.

I do understand the concerns; however, our official response will always be that your network should be designed with the features that the device currently supports in mind. We can't guarantee that a feature will make it to a particular model. As for releases, we do not know when firmware releases are slated to be delivered - we simply update our site's firmware pages weekly with the updates that were given.

This is largely due to the fact that the firmware is being actively developed, and limitations may be discovered that prevent specific features from making it to that model. As far as we know, the plan for the features and firmware is constantly in flux but the goal is to have it on as many models as possible.

For example, one version of the Deco M5 on firmware 1.7.0 ended up being released without the VPN feature. This was not known until we saw the official firmware patch notes indicating the lack of the feature.

Also, keep in mind that your Deco app will notify you when an update is available for your models - so you do not need to check constantly. From what I have seen, the firmware is making to most every model, just ever-so-slowly. More unique models, such as Powerline models are yet to be seen, but most likely require that the new features be designed from the ground up to accommodate the Powerline network.

Lastly, keep in mind also that this particular update and feature is a bit more extreme of an update than usual. From a technical perspective, these updates are bringing the firmware from different models in line with each other using a new firmware platform - meaning it is more than just a feature update.

What model Deco do you have that you are still waiting on the update for?

Options
2023-08-29 18:50:22

@PatG,

for the X60v1 - I am really not sure. The model released in 2020, and a few revisions have since been released since then. If the update is given to the model, it will likely be one of the later models to receive the feature. Many of the older versions are receiving the update now, but it does appear that it is taking longer to develop and release.

Something else to consider: before these firmware were released, the Deco line of mesh products did not see feature updates and matching firmware between models. Previously, updates were focused around security updates and bug fixes for a short time; and there was no real plan to add more features.

Whenever the plan to continue adding features and updating was made, it may have also caused the teams to develop firmware differently in preparation for future updates. There may be a period of Deco releases, where additional work is required to update these models. We are beginning to see the update appear on older hardware versions of models that have already received the update, so I will try to reach out to our teams to determine if any End of Life and older hardware versions are not able to receive the update (or if a feature will be left out when it is updated) - but I suspect that this information is still not known.

Options
2023-08-29 18:58:56

@Riley_S 

Hi, I understand all points. For example, I am waiting a update to Deco S7 V1 ( released last year ), because it has less functions than my Deco M4 V4 ( like vpn options or set MTU size).

So, when using all together as shown on its own webpage, I lose this new functions available on Deco M4. So, the newer router downgrades the old one.

This doesn't make any sense, and make us disappointed with Tplink support.

Best 

Options
Related Articles