Archer AX4400 Cannot Connect to Modem Internert

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-23 17:22:37
Model: Archer AX4400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My old router died a couple of weeks ago, taking my network with it.  We're limping along with our laptops connected to the modem (Windstream T3260).

The new router can't connect to the modem's internet.  Orange light on the LED teltales for internet.  I've gone through 2 Netgear routers, with the same results.  One was declared defective and exchanged for a new one;  no change.  Netgear tech support couldn't get it to connect.  So I bought this router to see if changing brands would help.  Again, no joy.  sad

I do like this router, so I returned the second Netgear.  But I'm still stuck with no internet via the router.  I can connect, with wifi and with eathernet, just no internet.  IP address is 0.0.0.0.  I think it may be some sort of conflict with the modem.  Windstream is sending a tech out next Wednesday (the 27th) to check it out.  Since I can't let it go, I've been looking around the TP-Link website looking for clues, and found this forum.

I like forums.  They're filled with smart people.  Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX4400 Cannot Connect to Modem Internert
2023-09-23 23:42:35

@HikesinRain 

sounds like you are not getting an ip address from your modem. See the pinned topic on my router is not obtaining the ip from the modem (on the first page of the posting). Most times the user does not power off the modem when switching routers per instructions. 

Options
2023-09-24 14:31:51 - last edited 2023-09-24 16:25:43

@ArcherC8 

Hi, ArcherC8.  I agree, for some reason the IP address isn't being passed to the router.  Yesterday afternoon, I found the FAQ you referenced, and ran down the list.  It's a well written document!  Even I could follow it.  I went down the list of changes, one by one, with no problems.  Cloned the computer's MAC address, changed the router's LAN IP address from the factory setting ( 192.168.0.1) to a couple of others ( 192.168.2.1 and  192.168.1.1), restarted modem and router as directed.  Sadly, no change, router is still not getting internet from the modem.  

I'm not familiar with IP addresses, but I think there are more than just the three (two of which are defaults) mentioned in the document.  Perhaps a different IP address might help, but I don't know which ones to use. 

I chatted with a tech after doing all the changes, and (s)he is pretty sure the problem is on the ISP side.  Perhaps the connections?  Maybe this modem isn't compatible?  Who knows?  I do have a Windstream tech coming out next Wednesday.  Hopefully, that will help. 

I also think it's a modem problem.  My old router had no problems with this modem;  well, until it had to go and die that way!  Three new, more advanced routers cannot connect.  Almost has to be a modem problem.

It it's not that, or if Windstream can't fix it, I don't know where else to go.

Options
2023-09-24 22:36:48 - last edited 2023-09-24 22:40:30

@HikesinRain 

The ip address you need is the WAN  IP address. It comes from your isp. 

power off the modem and router and unplug both. Wait 5-10 minutes. Power up the modem, wait 5 minutes, then power up the router, sign on to the router and if you look at the network settings at the WAN ip address, you should see something other than zeros. If not zero, you should have a connection. 

Options
2023-09-24 22:50:46 - last edited 2023-09-24 22:53:17

@ArcherC8 

Again, I agree.  I've done that, many times with a number of techs telling me..  The WAN IP address is currently 0.0.0.0, and has been with three different routers..  The modem is streaming internet.  I can get it via wifi and ethernet from the modem, thankfully.  It's just not getting to the router.

Options
2023-09-24 23:59:38

@HikesinRain 

if you are getting wifi and ethernet from the modem, you have a gateway. To connect a router to a gateway, you need router to be in AP mode or put the gateway in modem only mode.

Options
2023-09-25 20:14:27

@ArcherC8 

Thanks. That might well be the problem.  I'll bring it up with the Windstream tech gets here.  We'll need him or her to make the changes;  I don't know how to do that.  I'm curious, though.  My old router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000) was working fine with it until it died.  I just plugged it in and it worked.  Maybe the routers were simpler in 2014?  laugh

Options
2023-09-29 14:06:26

OK, Windstream (my ISP) has come and gone, with no changes.  The only thing the tech would do was move the Ethernet connection from the WAN/LAN modem outlet to one of the four Ethernet connections.  The orange internet LED did turn green, and I was able to access websites via WiFi, but only for short periods of time. After that, I was connected to WiFi, but with no internet.  Our other two computers could not get WiFi internet at all.  But that was enough for Windsteam.  The tech left, stating that the modem was providing internet, and they do not address "third party routers").

Since no one, either here nor at Windstream, is able to connect this router, I've returned it to the seller.    Since the old modem (a Netgear Nighthawk R7000) worked with this router for years before finally dying and starting this whole mess, we've located and ordered one of them.  Hopefully that will work. 

I still think the modem is the problem, but Windstream isn't willing to deal with it.

Options
2023-09-29 23:27:25

@HikesinRain 

Like I said before, change the router to AP mode or change the modem to be only a modem and not a gateway ( modem and router combo). The other option is to return the gateway to windstream and purchase your own modem. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1166

Replies: 8

Related Articles