Where to place my network switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-25 20:09:36
Tags: #Switch Location
Model: TL-SG108  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need some guidance in setting up my network switch as I am new to home networking. 

I live in a 3 story townhome (2 floors and a basement). I have my modem and wifi/router on the main floor in the center of the house and planning to add my TL-SG108 switch to the basement to wire the rest of the house.

I would like to put the switch in the unfinished part of my basement as it is centrally located and right underneath the wifi/router (connection will be easy). My question is where to place the switch as there is not alot of available stud bays.

Right now i have 3 stud bays available:

1) far right bay has a 15 amp 120v outlet and line running from mid wall up to the floor joist above (the outlet and wire are running on the left stud of the bay

2) middle bay has a 20 amp 120v outlet and line running from mid wall up to the floor joist above (the outlet and the wire are running on the left stud of the bay 

-So, the 15 amp and 20 amp outlet/wire are one stud bay apart (16 inches)

3) The last bay on the left is open and would like to put my switch in this bay on the upper stud bay in the middle, which will have the 20 amp wire running on the opposite side of the right stud of this bay.

My questions:

1) Is it ok to have my switch about 8" away from a 20 amp 120 v line running on the opposite side of a stud?

2) I have purchased cat6 shielded ethernet cables and will need to run 3 ethernet cables parallel to the 15 amp and 20 amp lines on the floor joist above, with about 5-6in separation. This will run parallel for about 5 ft then the lines will go in separate directions.

3) Lastly, I have an option to run one of my cat6 shielded ethernet cables inside a steel I-Beam (across the basement) and then up a wall to my bedroom. Is this ok. Can you run ethernet cable along a steel I-beam?

I appreciate your guidance.

Regards,

Greg  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 555

Replies: 0

Tags

Switch Location
Related Articles