Tp-Link RE715X WiFi Range Extender has no internet connection after tethering to Wireless Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tp-Link RE715X WiFi Range Extender has no internet connection after tethering to Wireless Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-30 21:04:48
Model: RE715X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. Today, I set up my Tp-Link RE715X WiFi Range Extender to my main wireless router, a TP-Link Archer AX3000. I tethered the device using the WPA method, by pressing the WPA button on the main router, then pressing the button on the extender. I did this twice, since the main router is a dual band router. All lights on the extender come on solid, i.e. Power, WiFi, 2.4G, and 5G. After relocating the extender, the lights come on solid as well, indicating connectivity to the router. When I try connecting my phone or other wireless device to the extender, however, they do connect, but with no internet connection. I have rebooted the router, as suggested in the quick setup to no avail. My main router does have a wireless password, and when you initially try to connect to the extender, you have to enter it, and it connects w/no internet.I have MAC address filtering set up w/a white list, so I'm not sure if this is the issue or not. Any help, and or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tp-Link RE715X WiFi Range Extender has no internet connection after tethering to Wireless Router
2023-12-31 16:03:28

@D-Rider I tried adding the extender's MAC address to the white list in the main router. Then, I reset the extender to clear the configuration, and reconnected to the router using the tether app. Still, I receive a connection to SSIDName_EXT 'with no' internet. If someone from TP-Link could respond with advice, it would be appreciated. I'm about to return this thing for a refund. It's a just a brick without internet access.

Options
Re:Tp-Link RE715X WiFi Range Extender has no internet connection after tethering to Wireless Router
2024-01-02 15:42:23

@D-Rider This is a FYI for all with a problem similar to the one I've been having, (or any other technical issue for that matter) If you want to get TP-Link involved directly, email them @ support.usa@tp-link.com (US) or support@tp-link.com (other). They contacted me, and even though I added my extender's MAC address to the main router, I still received no internet access from it. What I was instructed to do was to change the "SSID-Name"_EXT to something other than the main router, which I did. From there, I disabled all access control control on the main router, and was able to connect to the extender w/full internet access. After which, I re-enabled access control w/the extender's MAC address in the white list. Everything works as supposed to since. Internet access functions on both the router & the extender.

Options