External Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

External Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
External Antenna
External Antenna
2024-01-02 11:35:35
Model: RE605X   Archer C7   Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased and AXE5400 router and two RE605X Range Extenders thinking they'd improve the wireless reception between my house and my shed.  I was previously using two Archer C7 (AC1750) and the reception was pretty poor. (I had to have the router no further than halfway into the shed.)

I purchased the RE605X as they advertise a 30dBm transmission instead of the 20dBm for the RE505X.

I put one Range Extender in the closest point in the house to the shed, and the other in the shed, in roughly the same place as the Archer C7.

Little did I know that even the 30dBm was sorely inadequate...  (I'm pretty disappointed in the Range Extenders, even in the house they are little better than just the router)

So my question is, is there a better option to give me suitable WiFi for security cameras in and around my shed?  Should I just return the two RE605X as they are inadequate?

Can I put an external antenna on the RE605X, my Archer C7s or is there a better solution?

Thank you in advance,

Rick

Options
3 Reply
Re:External Antenna
2024-01-03 13:40:52
I don’t know of any external antennae options I’m afraid. Any windows facing the shed/windows on the shed? Windowsills are great places to put a WiFi product, (I use Velcro to secure them), to help with signal. Walls, especially exterior walls, have more insulation…
Options
2024-01-03 20:26:44

@jzchen unfortunately not.  No windows, and it is a metal shed too.

Thus, it seems an external antenna is my only option.

Options
2024-01-05 14:17:17

@sectarian Well I did find a Deco X50-Outdoor model that may work if you can run a wire into the shed, (supports PoE):

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-x50-outdoor/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 539

Replies: 3

Related Articles