Roku does not consistently connect with RE550.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-07 22:15:00
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: AC1900 MU-MIMO US/1.6 VN1

I have to run through the settings menu on my Roku to try to set up WiFi everytime I turn it on, to try and connect with the RE550. Sometimes the Roku sees the RE550, but most of the time it doesn't. The Roku always sees the AT&T router Model 5268AC FXN that the RE550 is extending from. The main reason I bought the RE550 was to extend WiFi to the back of the house, which it does. I now have WiFi for my laptop in the back bedroom, whereas before there was no WiFi signal back there. I thought the Roku would be able to use/connect to a stronger signal from this extender which is less than 25' away. Maybe it doesn't need it or be able to "take advantage" of it in some way. Using my Roku is no problem, it works because it always connects to the main AT&T router. I just thought it strange that it defaults to a router that's a greater distance, maybe 50+ feet away.

Any thoughts?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Roku does not consistently connect with RE550.
2024-02-08 08:11:19

@Burly 

It is the client device (Roku) to decide to which wireless radio to connect to (main router or RE550).

Apparently the wireless signal of your router radio is strong enough, so Roku decided not to switch to RE550.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Roku does not consistently connect with RE550.
2024-02-08 16:05:18
Got it. Thanks terziyski for your speedy response. It's just curious to me that when the Roku does see the RE550 when I manually try to connect to it, it categorizes the signal as "Excellent" whereas it shows the AT&T router signal as "Good". I don't mean to waste anyone's time with this curiosity I have. I'm just trying to figure this all out. I didn't know for sure if I had a Roku issue or an issue with the RE550.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 249

Replies: 2

Related Articles