TP-Link DDNS service
TP-Link DDNS service
2024-03-15 18:39:36
Tags: #TP-Link DNS service
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Hi there,

My LAN network device manufacturer had DDNS service for years to access from outside, but they are discontinuing the service very soon.

The DDNS service I found is that I register my global IP, and you get domain address like TP-Link provides (XXX.TPLINKDNS.COM). But you have to install software to PC in LAN and launch it to update the global IP. It doesn’t do it automatically. I have to run software to update the global IP (If the IP changes while you are out for vacation or something, you have to ask somebody to go my home and boot the PC to run this software).

Then I found that my TP-link router already has this service. I set up ID and it works well; however I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to restart the router often to update global IP address associated with XXX.TPLINKDNS.COM address? If I don’t have to, how does it update the IP?
  2. I set DDNS service and closed the setting page, but it doesn't hold the setting. I have to re-login next day. Please clarify if I'm doing something wrong or I still have to do it every morning like other DDNS services.

All I want is that my router somehow communicates with TP-Link DNS service to update the global IP when it changes, so I can use my XXX.TPLINKCLOUD.COM to access my devices.

Thank you in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link DDNS service
2024-03-16 19:29:31

@Honoken 

Some of the DDNS services offer a client that you put on your computer that keeps the IP updated. That does require that your computer to be on all the time. 

I am not sure if the router does. 

Options
2024-03-26 04:34:40

@Honoken 

TP-Link's DDNS service is running on the router and sends the WAN IP address updates periodically for your registered name - details.

Same goes for the no-ip DDNS service provider.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-27 23:49:26

ArcherC8 wrote

@Honoken 

Some of the DDNS services offer a client that you put on your computer that keeps the IP updated. That does require that your computer to be on all the time. 

I am not sure if the router does. 

thank you  @ArcherC8

yes I'm in trouble if my global ip changes while I'm away.

Options
2024-03-27 23:51:08

Thank you  @terziyski it sounds like what I wanted to hear. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 4

Tags

TP-Link DNS service
Related Articles