Printer isn't visible

Printer isn't visible

Printer isn't visible
Printer isn't visible
2024-04-05 17:37:41
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231225 Rel. 58766

I need help.  I've just replaced my nighthawk router and AP with this mesh router for improved coverage and to simplify network management.  Though it has mostly worked great, I have lost one critical function - my HP Officejet 8600 pro plus is no longer visible to either Windows 11 or to my Apple devices (via AirPrint) (and presumably, Bonjour). 

I can get around the Windows problem by assigning a fixed IP, adding the printer to Windows manually, and reserving the IP address on the Deco.  I cannot, however, fiigure out how to make the printer visible to my apple devices.  In my house, this is a critical requirement for maintaining marital harmony.  I'm using a wireless connection, but I have tried a direct ethernet connection between the printer and a satellite Deco.  I have unsuccessfully  tried to add firewall rules to Deco for UDP on ports 5353 and 3702, but I can't get past the "internal IP" field, which the Deco app indicates to be "invalid".  The network simplification that I had hoped for is damningly complex!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Printer isn't visible
2024-06-13 10:01:29

@Mpuck 

Steps to Fix Printer Visibility on Apple Devices

1. Ensure Printer and Devices are on the Same Network:

• Verify that both your printer and all Apple devices are connected to the same Deco network. Sometimes, mesh networks can create different subnets that may cause visibility issues.
  2. Check for Network Isolation:

• Some mesh systems have a feature called "AP Isolation" or "Client Isolation" which can prevent devices from communicating with each other. Ensure this feature is turned off in your Deco settings.
  3. Enable Multicast and IGMP Snooping:

• AirPrint and Bonjour rely on multicast traffic. Check your Deco settings to see if there are options to enable multicast and IGMP snooping, which helps with handling multicast traffic efficiently.
  4. Reserve IP Address for Printer:

• Since you’ve already reserved a fixed IP for your printer, ensure that it’s correctly assigned and active on your network.
  5. Configure Firewall and Ports:

• For the firewall rules, make sure you’re entering the correct internal IP for your printer. It’s the IP address reserved for your printer in the Deco settings. Here’s a step-by-step guide to add the rules:
      1. Open the Deco app.
      2. Go to More > Advanced > IPv4 Firewall.
      3. Add a new rule:
        • Protocol: UDP
        • External Port: 5353
        • Internal IP: [Printer's IP Address]
        • Internal Port: 5353
      4. Add another rule:
        • Protocol: UDP
        • External Port: 3702
        • Internal IP: [Printer's IP Address]
        • Internal Port: 3702
  6. Restart Network and Printer:

• After applying the settings, restart your Deco units, printer, and Apple devices to ensure all changes take effect.
  7. Verify Printer Configuration:

• On the printer, navigate to network settings and ensure that Bonjour/AirPrint is enabled. This option should be available under the network configuration on the printer's control panel.
  8. Update Firmware:

• Make sure both your Deco system and your printer are running the latest firmware. Firmware updates can resolve compatibility and connectivity issues.

Troubleshooting Tips

• Test with Ethernet: While you mentioned trying a direct Ethernet connection, do a fresh test ensuring the printer is directly connected to the main Deco unit. This can help rule out issues caused by the mesh satellites.
  • Disable Unnecessary Deco Features: Features like parental controls or QoS might sometimes interfere with network traffic. Temporarily disable these to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Use HP Smart App: Download the HP Smart app on your Apple devices. This app can sometimes detect and add printers that are not visible through standard AirPrint.

By following these steps, you should be able to restore visibility of your HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus to your Apple devices and maintain peace in your household. If problems persist, consider reaching out to TP-Link (Deco) support for more detailed assistance, as they can provide guidance specific to their hardware and firmware versions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 217

Replies: 1

Related Articles