Deco x55 *VERY* slow download speeds on Windows box, fast upload speeds

2024-04-21 18:53:19 - last edited 2024-05-13 00:47:38
Model: Deco X55 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231229 Rel. 43148

Hi,

I have 3 Deco X55 configured as a wifi router mode. The 3 decos are all connected to one another via wired Ethernet. My ISP is a fiber connection with 600Mbs download/upload.

I have several Linux and Windows PCs connected to the Deco(s), some via wired and some via wireless.

On all my linux PCs, when I run the speedtest.net, I get a solid 600Mbs down and up through the network.

However, on the Windows PCs (some Win 10 and some Win 11), I am getting 1.5 to 2 Mbs download via the speedtest.net, but a sold 600Mbs upload on the same PC.

2 tests that I've run, both with wired connections directly to the Main Deco:

1. A Windows 11 laptop connected via ethernet cable directly to the Main Deco, I did a speed test and got 2 Mbs down / 600 Mbs up
I then connected directly to the ISP fiber and got 600 Mbs down/up.

2. A Windows 10 PC directly wired via ethernet to the Main Deco, same story: 2Mbs down / 600 Mbs up

Then I rebooted the same PC into Linux Mint with no hardware changes. I get 600 Mbs down / up.

I do not have QoS turned on.

I have updated windows drivers on the Windows 10 PC and made sure it was up to date with updates. The NIC is an Intel I217-LM (rev 04).

I'm at a complete loss on how to debug/troubleshoot this further or why the same PC works fine running Linux but has such slow download speeds in Windows (and this is the same for ALL the PCs running Windows).

The above tests seem to point to an issue with the Deco router since connecting directly to the fiber network and the problem goes away.

Can you please help with this issue?

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco x55 *VERY* slow download speeds on Windows box, fast upload speeds-Solution
2024-05-13 00:47:33 - last edited 2024-05-13 00:47:38

Hi,

An update on my issue: I spoke with the Deco support chat and they suggested swapping one of my other decos with the main Deco as described in: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2400/

When I did this, the download and upload speeds were all fixed! All with a solid 600 Mbs down and up on all devices now.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco x55 *VERY* slow download speeds on Windows box, fast upload speeds
2024-05-11 00:54:20

Update:

I had an old ASUS RT-AC56U wireless router. I turned off the radio and connected it to my fiber connection.

I put my 3 Deco X55 into AP mode.

Any WIRED windows box connected directly to the ASUS router is now full speed: 600Mbps down/up.

Any WiFi windows box (connected through the Deco X55) is still hitting 2Mbps down and 600 Mbps up. 

I have a laptop in a docking station (with wired ethernet). It is fine as long as I turn the Wifi off and go through the wired connection. But with the Wifi on, it slogs down to 2 Mbps download.

(However, my linux laptop is fine with 300Mbps down and up.)

still think there is an issue with the Deco X55.  I'm going to end up buying a new, different mesh router (from a different mfg.) because I've gotten no help or support on this issue.

Options
Re:Deco x55 *VERY* slow download speeds on Windows box, fast upload speeds-Solution
2024-05-13 00:47:33 - last edited 2024-05-13 00:47:38

Hi,

An update on my issue: I spoke with the Deco support chat and they suggested swapping one of my other decos with the main Deco as described in: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2400/

When I did this, the download and upload speeds were all fixed! All with a solid 600 Mbs down and up on all devices now.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 568

Replies: 2

Related Articles