loss of gigibit speed when making router satellite

2024-05-12 21:55:22
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: current

Hello

We just upgraded to fiber at the farm.  Wanted to extend the wifi capability for cameras, so purchased 2 Archer AX 1800s.  Thought the 5G would go through the buildings somewhat better as I put one in barn and one in shop but was not really the case.  Connection goes from fiber modem to barn into routers WAN.  Out of LAN port into shop router WAN.  Set up as single SSID.  Initially got great wifi in shop and with 790+ from ethernet cable to laptop.  Router said setup may cause problems so maybe set up shop router as bridge.  Could not find this setting so used easy mesh for seemless transistion between single SSID.  Made shop router satellite router and barn as main router.  Seem to have great wifi in work area and in barn and shop.  Before I made the shop router into a satellite router, I was getting 790+ through ethernet cable to laptop as I said, however after, I get 33Mbs or so.  So is this normal, and if not how do I configure to get my speed back through the ethernet cable?  Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:loss of gigibit speed when making router satellite
2024-05-15 20:58:03

Hi @Jedidiah,

Thanks for joining the TP-Link Community. 

Congrats on the fiber upgrade! Unfortunately, although 5 GHz Wi-Fi offers greater speed and bandwidth, being a higher frequency, it is much more susceptible to signal degradation when passing through obstacles such as walls than a lower frequency like 2.4 GHz.

That being said, it sounds like you were able to make it work until the speeds started to decrease. In your case, you may have originally been trying to avoid a double NAT scenario (more than one router in the same network). Apart from the EasyMesh route you took, another option would be to use the Access Point Mode configuration for the Archer AX1800 unit(s) that you don't want to operate as a router.

It is important to note that in Access Point Mode, the Archer AX1800 needs to be wired via Ethernet to your existing LAN. For more information on how to set up the Archer AX1800 in Access Point Mode, please see our FAQ here

Since the Archer AX1800s will utilize Ethernet as their backhaul, this will help ensure optimal speeds for connected devices.

One thing to keep in mind while using a unified/single SSID is that the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands will appear as "one network" for your wireless devices. The devices will then roam between 5 GHz (faster, shorter distance) and 2.4 GHz (slower but greater range) at will - depending on the distance from the routers and each device's individual roaming algorithm. Separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs may be worth considering in the future if you encounter any issues with your devices preferring the slower 2.4GHz band too often.

Options
Re:loss of gigibit speed when making router satellite
2024-05-18 12:58:44

@Jedidiah 

Thanks for the response.

The system indicated a double NAT system existed, although I didn't see an issue with it.  I then changed from router to router to a router to satellite config.  As I stated, my ethernet connection on my second router initially was 750+Mbs.  After configuring that router to a satellite it went to 33.  This is what I need help with.  If making the second router into a AP will solve the issue then I will try that as long as the wifi is not affected.  Wifi is currently good, in the 190s

Jed

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 212

Replies: 2

Related Articles