X55 1.2.0 Firmware, Unmanaged Switches

2024-06-24 19:59:13
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V15
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231229 Rel. 43148

I cannot find hardware version on the device, it is not listed.

I finally upgraded from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0

and now my satellite X55 units will not connect over ethernet; causing tons of issues.

I have a tp-link 8 port unmanaged switch between my primary unit and the satellite units.

When moving the one unit next to the primary and directly connecting, it would connect through ethernet.

Any advice, wish I never upgraded, but was having other WiFi issues

Options
2 Reply
Re:X55 1.2.0 Firmware, Unmanaged Switches
2024-06-27 13:39:44

@kafka_dev 

So I think I know what is going on, but I do not understand why it surfaced when it did

From "https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/"

Deco units switching from Wi-Fi backhaul to Ethernet backhaul may create a brief loop in the network for 1 to 2 seconds. If your switch supports loop detection, it may block the port used by Deco, preventing the transition from Wi-Fi to Ethernet Backhaul. Please turn off the loop detection function on your switch, then reboot your switch and try again.

From "https://static.tp-link.com/upload/product-overview/2023/202306/20230619/TL-SG105(UN)8.0&TL-SG108(UN)9.0&TL-SG116(UN)1.20.pdf"

My SG108 unmanaged switch does have loop back prevention.

So something caused my satellite Decos (X55) to go from wired to wireless and then switching back to ethernet caused a loop-back which then shutdown the port and then it would switch back to wireless.

I am also guessing unplugging the power to the switch didn't reset it from disabling the port, due to network traffic remaining.

The frustration is this is one of the switches recommended by the TP-Link Mesh documentation to use; hence why I purchased it; from the first link, "Q3: Which switch models support Ethernet backhaul?"

So I am now buying a TL-SG108E so I can disable loop-back prevention.  I will return the replacement SG108 that I bought earlier this week, because I thought the switch was bad (turns out, I think it was just having disabled ports, and the new switch fixed issues "for a few days").

Something with this firmware makes loop-back more of a reality and/or just bad luck on my part in that some new interference/issue caused them to switch to WiFi and I normally don't have this problem -- or maybe a new reboot order I did?

In any case, would be nice if there was a way to disable "wireless backport" on a given unit this loop-back could be prevented altogether.

Again, this is just me troubleshooting all week.  Right now I have 1 unit hardwired directly to the main device after I bought an ethernet coupler, and that seems to be working fine, and I have my third satellite off wire all together.  

Also it feels like loop-back prevention of the SG108 shuts down the entire switch -- or maybe it was just saturated with traffic? but devices on that switch now work again w/out the satellite connected.

Again, back to "Please turn off the loop detection function on your switch" -- please do not recommend one of your switches that cannot turn this off, if this is a feature that is enabled by default -- took a lot of searching/digging to find a document that said this was a feature of the 105 and 108 (but not in the 116 according to the spec sheet).

Coincidentally, I purchased this router to reduce network management in my house over multiple floors (had separate wifi routers and subnets) -- and after this week, I'm not sure that was a wise move.

Options
Re:X55 1.2.0 Firmware, Unmanaged Switches
2024-06-27 22:46:36

@kafka_dev 

SG108E didn't fix this issue

Ran across - https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/273992

so I can connect my SG108E to a satellite, but to the middle port on my primary Deco -- nothing works.

I believe it is this issue where the port is not being used for IP assignment - so anything on this network is not able to be found.

This really needs to be fixed. This issue has been there for years, from what I see.

I should be able to say the bottom port is for connecting to modem....

I have wasted a good amount of time on this.  Again, unclear if this is the issue; but this is frustrating.

The fact that there doesn't seem to be effort to address this issue is very bothersome to me.  These are the types of issues that drive me away from a manufacture.

Options