Device keeps connecting

Device keeps connecting

Device keeps connecting
Device keeps connecting
3 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE70 Pro  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.11Build 20240724 Rel. 38913

I keep getting a device connecting to my network.  It shows up as phone.  I have blocked this device to see if something in the house stops connecting to the internet but can't find it.  After a few days I delete the device but it keeps coming back.  Any way too find this device to verify if this should be on the network or not?  Also when is TP-Link going to identify devices better?  I have joined many devices that the XE70 Pro identifies as a phone or tablet but they are not.  Other manufacturer have routers that can identify devices more accurately and more categories for devices.  Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Device keeps connecting
3 weeks ago

@SKane9 

If you want to prevent that device from connecting to the Deco, why do you delete it instead of keeping it blocked?

The Deco displays the MAC address of the device.  From that address, you can usually identify the manufacturer of the device.  You do not need the Deco to do that, you can do that online.

Options
3 weeks ago

@yves_b I am keeping it blocked.  I just deleted it to see if it would come back and it did.  And those Mac finders are not working.  So was wondering if someone here might have another solution as how to look up what kind of device it might be.  But if I can't get a good solution here, the device is blocked and will remain that way.

Options
3 weeks ago

@SKane9 I agree, device identification could be handled better, even old software would give you basic MAC information on the devices you don't recognize right off using the address. 

Simply displaying "phone" or "network device", which can make the less knowledgeable customer's concerned. At the very least, show manufacture information from the MAC address to give a hint. 

The real issue lies with the fact they've tried making the devices mostly rely on mobile phones for interface. So a lot of the more basic old features of routers have been neglected in favor of a pretty interface. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@SKane9 

You could use a "lan scan" software, it will perhaps provide more details about that device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 140

Replies: 4

Related Articles