LAN port speed

LAN port speed

LAN port speed
LAN port speed
3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.10 Build 20240130 Rel. 77367

Hi, look, I'm pretty clueless with this all but I hope you can help. I got this Archer AX10 a few days ago from Amazon. I've had TP-Link products before and I like them. This was easy to configure. I kept the 2.4 and 5 GHz separate because I have a lot of smart bulbs and outlets that use 2.4 and it's just easier for me to select. (None were on during this test.)

My problem is the speed of the LAN ports... something's going wrong that I don't understand. Currently, I have two devices directly connected—an older Blu-Ray player and an Insignia 4K Fire TV that's a few years old. The TV has both WiFi and ethernet. I assumed the ethernet would be faster, but it wasn't. Initially, both ways clocked about 240 Mbps. Supposedly, my Charter/Spectrum modem is a gigabit modem.

So I ordered a new ethernet cable to see if that would speed it up (for 4K) and when I clocked it today, the LAN port was only 90 Mbps, but the WiFi was about 220. I swapped out a couple of ethernet cables, including the one I used the other day, and the TV won't go higher than ~90 through the LAN port. I turned the router (and the TV, of course) off and on to see if that would help but it didn't.

I have a Roku right next to it (wifi only) and it's getting about 220–230. Speed tests on my computers are about 400+ download, though seems that Spectrum limits upload to, like 22 Mbps.

Can someone help me troubleshoot the speed of the LAN ports? I did try using only one at a time, and then also switched from ports 1, 2, 3, and 4—no speed change.

Thank you!
Scott

Options
3 Reply
Re:LAN port speed
3 weeks ago

@ScottCal 

You said you got new cables. What is the rating on the cables? If Cat 5, the max speed is 100.

Some devices have hardware that only goes to 100.

A quick test is to bypass the router and plug the device direct to the modem and see what speed you get.

Options
3 weeks ago

@ArcherC8 

Hello, thank you for your reply!

I hadn’t tried plugging the tv directly into the modem, duh on me. But I just did and it still tops out at 92 Mbps. The cables are all cat 6 and cat 8 so I did some research on the tv. Yup, the ethernet port on the (2017) Insignia TV supposedly tops out at 100 Mbps. Silly of me to buy a new, fast cable. I guess I’ll use it for some other device someday. I must have been mistaken with the speed test when I first hooked this all up and must have been looking at the WiFi numbers.

I really appreciate your quick response, your assistance, and sorry if I’ve wasted your time! Thanks again!

Options
3 weeks ago

@ScottCal 

Glad I could help. We all have done things like that. This is minor compared to some I have done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 105

Replies: 3

Related Articles