Problem with specific dimmer. I do not know how this is possible but I have verified it three times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problem with specific dimmer. I do not know how this is possible but I have verified it three times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-31 13:58:45
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Just bought this product the other day, love it so far. I went crazy and bought them for all around the house and ran into a big problem. The lights dont work when its only the LB130/100 series on my dimmer!

I have the LB130 and LB100 lights.
I have from 3 to 6 in series on a single dimmer. [Ceiling lights]

The dimmer is the :
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MA-1000-WH-1000-Watt-Maestro-Digital/dp/B0006V5Q1G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

When I have a single or more non LB130/LB100 light bulb in the series everything is fine.
When I have only LB130/LB100 light bulbs in the series, the lights do not come on.

Do i have to replace the dimmer or is there another work around?

Thanks,
Greg
Options
4 Reply
Re:Problem with specific dimmer. I do not know how this is possible but I have verified it three times
2017-12-31 23:46:39
The LBxxx series are wifi connected bulbs where you would control brightness through TP Link's app. Generally you would not use them with a dimmer switch. I'd expect you'd run into trouble when you tried to dim them if the power supplied to them moved of spec. If you have a dimmer switch there already it's better to use regular dimming bulbs there as they're quite a bit cheaper... Use your LBxxx bulbs where you do not have a dimmer and want smart bulb behavior (remote control, brightness, scheduling, etc). Another option is to replace the dimmer switch with an ordinary switch.
Options
Re:Problem with specific dimmer. I do not know how this is possible but I have verified it three times
2018-01-01 05:39:50
" When I have a single or more non LB130/LB100 light bulb in the series everything is fine.
When I have only LB130/LB100 light bulbs in the series, the lights do not come on."

How do you explain that?

The only option is to leave one of the non led bulbs in which is not ideal!

Options
2018-01-01 14:26:49
While it's an interesting effect I'm not sure I'd spend much time trying to explain it :). AFAIK the LBxxx bulbs are NOT intended to be dimmed using an older type dimmer switch. You asked whether you need to replace the dimmer switch, the answer is "yes". And you asked if there's another workaround, again the answer is yes - use bulbs intended to work with a dimmer.
Options
2018-01-01 17:31:40

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

While it's an interesting effect I'm not sure I'd spend much time trying to explain it :). AFAIK the LBxxx bulbs are NOT intended to be dimmed using an older type dimmer switch. You asked whether you need to replace the dimmer switch, the answer is "yes". And you asked if there's another workaround, again the answer is yes - use bulbs intended to work with a dimmer.

i have many of these dimmer switches in my house - is there an option without having to replace the dimmers everywhere?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 987

Replies: 4